Defective Lock On A Givi E52 Topcase

Phormanluge

• Member Contributer

I purchased a Givi E52 Maxia Monokey Topcase back in July, and was finally getting a chance to use it for the first time a couple of weeks ago for a camping trip. I didn't have any problems with the lock as I was packing for the trip, nor did I notice any potential problems with the lock.

Fortunlately when we first arrived at the campsite the lock worked fine. I was able to open the case and unload my gear. While I was unpacking, I needed my keys to unlock one of my side cases. So I turned the key to the locked posistion on the E52 and removed the key (with the trunk still open). After I was done with my side case I put the key back into the E52, but the lock wouldn't turn. I had a spare key with me and it didn't work either. I sprayed some chain lube in the lock, but this didn't help.

It was lucky that the trunk was still open. I was able to disassemble the locking mechanism from the inside and I removed the lock cylinder. When I examined the cylinder I found a spring protruding from the side of one of the plates in the cylinder (see pictures).

gallery_10826_2734_9485.jpg

IMG_0026 copy.jpg

gallery_10826_2734_56998.jpg

IMG_0025 copy.jpg

With a pair of pliers I was able to pull the plate out with no effort whatsover. I then reseated the spring into the cylinder and reinserted the plate. I checked the other plates in the cylinder, and I was not able to remove any of them using moderate force. Therefore, the defect appers to be that this one plate was not locked into the slot; and the protruding spring was preventing the cylinder from turning.

Even though I got the spring back into the lock, it was a little mangled from the experience and I really wasn't sure how reliable this lock would be. Also, I didn't want to go through the hassle of having to reassemble the locking mechanism out at the campsite. Luckily one of the guys with us drove out in his SUV, and he was able to haul my Givi and gear back with him at the end of the trip.

When I got home, I emailed Givi about the lock. The next day one of their Reps emailed me back that they would send me a replacement lock. About 10 days later the new lock arrived in the mail.

As a side note, the locking mechanism on the E52 case is far more complicated that it needs to be. It took me about an hour of trial & error to figure out how to reassemble the damn thing.

Just wondering if anyone else has ever had a problem with their Givi locks. Also I was fortunate enough to have this problem while the E52 was opened. If this occured while it was closed I'm not sure how I would be able to remove my gear. Any suggestions on what might be the least destructive way to open the case or remove the lock if something like this happens again?

• Member Contributer

My V46 lock has had no issues whatsoever...after 4 months of daily use. It's a great case and idiot-proof in terms of the locking mechanism, sorry to hear your lock is crapped.

• Member Contributer

I observed a guy in Bar Harbor Maine taking a pair of plyers to the lock on his OEM hard side cases. He complained that he kept BREAKING off the keys. Which was exactly what had happened to him on his holiday.

In all fairness... the bike was beat. Way beyond the "high milage" VFR thing. I can only assume a heavy handed approch to locking / unlocking the side cases was working against him.

I have NEVER had a lock problem. I use the side cases every day and A little spray lube is all that is ever needed.

GIVI should provide you with a new SET of locks. Ones that will work properly every day!

Archived