Gel Seat Pads

keithbob

• Member Contributer

I had the rider's portion of my seat done custom for me by BillMayer.com, and we will be doing the rear portion for Jalene this winter. In the meantime, we need to address her discomfort on long rides.

We're looking at gel seatpads for the pillion on the web, and we're wondering if anyone out there has any experience and recommendations. We've eyed the Saddleman and a couple of others. Anyone got one to sell cheap?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Keith

The only negative thing I have heard about gel pads is that they retain heat real bad. A guy I rode with recently had a gel seat and he said after it sits in the sun, he'll be riding for 30 minutes and it would feel just as hot as when he first got on. Like sitting on a 2 wheeled oven. Comfort is good as long as she can handle the heat in the summer (or just keep it out of the sun). I'd take heat over discomfort any day of the week. Heat will eventually go away during a ride. Discomfort usually only gets worse. I'm sure it's the same way in the winter with the gel retaining the cold. Maybe a layer of foam over the gel would help? That's about the only thing I can tell you about the gel. Good luck!

• Member Contributer
The only negative thing I have heard about gel pads is that they retain heat real bad.

We've been reading the same thing. Some recommend put it in the fridge and it'll stay nice and cool for a long while. We're looking at some that have sheepskin covers that ought to help here, too. Main thing is prolly not to leave it cook in the sun. Thanks!

• Member Contributer

I've never used one but the Airwolf seat pads seem to get excellent reviews, guess they use a combination of air and foam/gel. Maybe worth taking a look at.

this may sound ridiculous, but it actually does work. you know the material they make camping thermarests from? the high density foam, i'd consider cutting a chunk of that out that would fit inside the riding pants. i know for watching sports for hours on concrete bleachers it works great.

I tried the foam and gel pad bit, it didn't help much. What made my wife more comfortable was a backrest, and i had the rear seat dished out to support more of her backside. I don't think you can make a backrest for the stock seat, i bought a Corbin to get one. But i am sure an enterprising individual can make a device to get a backrest on a seat that wasn't made for one.

• Member Contributer

Jalene just leans back on the backrest pad on the Givi - ahhh. This pad is just for the meantime until we can get BillMayer to do the rear portion custom for her.

I just ordered a sheepskin covered gel pad from AM Specialties to get us through this next big trip to Canada. It got good reviews from both CW and Rider mags.

George, George, George. I've had Corbins and ain't going back there. Mayer is the only way to fly. Hey, are we going to see you at PNW III next week?

Thanks all for the help here, nuthin' like VFRD for that!

Keith

Archived