My 3 Month Old Stator Is Fried?

RolandHTG

• Member Contributer

My 99 overheated in a freeway traffic jam two weeks ago. Charging voltage has dropped to arounf 13.2-4 at 5000 since then. No problems keeping the battery charge except when the bike gets good and hot. During a trip last week I again got stuck in traffic and temperture went up to 238. At that point charging voltage dropped to 12.4. I managed to protect the battery by killing the motor at red lights. Charge rate would go back up to 13.4 on restart. On the last day of the trip, 500 miles, I was able to avoid temps above 210 and charging remained adequate (13.2-13.4) Not good but enough to keep the battery charged.

Yesterday I used the Electrosport Fault Finding chart. Component tests pass unti I get to the stator AC output at 5000 rpm. (resistance and continuity tests are good)

At 5000 AC voltages at the yellow stator output wires are 74, 74 and 67. The chart says if the readings are not the same or one is less than 50 replace stator.

When my original stator failed the readings were 59, 59 and 39 (if memory serves). I am wondering about the chart wording "not the same or one is less than 50" All my current readings are well above 50, why do they need to be the same and how significant is a 7 volt difference?

I will probably send my old stator to Rick's for a rewind.

• Member Contributer

sounds like what my bike did when the r/r started to fail. r/r would work on restart but then drop off and stop working. when it finally died the bike wouldnt even start. i doubt your stator is fried.

Archived