Stator - Replacement

• Forum CEO

STATOR01.JPG

I did a test of my charging system and found a short in one of the phases of my alternator, checking the 3 yellow leads to ground to see if there is continuity. So I ordered a new one and put it in today.

You must begin by removing the left side plastic, then remove the antifreeze overflow bottle. This gives you access to the stator cover.

STATOR02.JPG

There are (8) 8mm bolts that need to be removed

STATOR03.JPG

Once you remove the bolts the stator cover might be sealed on rather tightly with the gasket, I had to tap it with a rubber mallet to get it loose. Here you can see my deep fried old stator. Make sure to have an oil pan under the bike to catch what oil drips down.

STATOR04.JPG

I removed the rear plastic and disconnected the alternator wires from the Regulator Rectifier harness, and threaded the wires loose and removed the stator cover and all.

STATOR05.JPG

There are 4 star bolts that need to be removed and a 5mm bolt that holds the wire harness in place with a bracket. I am not sure the size I had an assortment of star bits and found the right size. It is larger than a 120 but smaller than a 130 and it has deeper stars than most star bolts.

STATOR06.JPG

Tighten ALL the bolts back up 9ft/lbs is the torque setting, inside and outside bolts.

STATOR07.JPG

I had some gasket remover, but still had to scrape the toughest parts off with a blade. That old gasket was really baked on. Make sure you replace the gaskets.

STATOR08.JPG

Here is the new gasket seated by the dowels, you can see the flywheel and the magnet. Hardly any oil came out, I had my oil-pan underneath to catch what fell.

STATOR09.JPG

I threaded the new wires back the same way as the old ones PITA!! its really tight in there. And used some dielectric grease on the connectors to prevent corrosion.

MISC02.JPG

I also replaced the fan switch on the left side radiator, it was not working.

MISC03.JPG

It just screws on, a small amount of fluid came out but not much

MISC01.JPG

I also removed my shock plates and replaced them as well, they had grooves in the side where grime had cut away at the alluminum.

MISC04.JPG

Here is why I stopped using PJ1 that stuff makes a mess! I cleaned that up too with WD40 a rag and a lot of elbow grease.