If You Have An Old Cbr600 Fork To Throw Away...

luigi

• Member Contributer

Hello.

I discovered that the steering fork stem of the 1987 CBR Honda 600 is perfectly the same of the 1989 VFR800.

It's enough to remove the welding under the bottom of the lower triple clamp to have a new item to fit on VFR.

I separated the stem from the yokes removing the bottom welding with a lathe.

After i pressed the stem out with a small hydraulic press.

This can be useful to install another kind of forks that requests the triple clamps substitution too.

More, even the two bikes' steering bearings is the same.

If someone can be interested...

ciao, Luigi.

gallery_8326_3062_13281.jpg

1998 VFR 800 Stock - Bottom Welding 01mod.jpg

gallery_8326_3062_9791.jpg

1987 CBR 600 Stock - Welding Removed 01 mod.jpg

gallery_8326_3062_1550.jpg

VFR 800 - CBR 600 01mod.jpg

Hi Luigi,

Thanks for posting, but I'm trying to understand why you would want to put anything from a 87 CBR on a 98 or newer VFR800 ?

I guess the VFR800 started as a 97 in the rest of the world, 98 was the first year in the USA. :unsure:

• Member Contributer
Hi Luigi,

Thanks for posting, but I'm trying to understand why you would want to put anything from a 87 CBR on a 98 or newer VFR800 ?

I guess the VFR800 started as a 97 in the rest of the world, 98 was the first year in the USA. :unsure:

Hi Bailey

Since that the steering stem of the CBR87 ( and probably next models) is perfecly the same of the VFR800 i thought that this in information could be useful in a situation where a substitution of the fork seems impossible because the stem are different.

I suggested the stem of the 1987 CBR because maybe can be simple and cheap find a fork of an old motorcycle.

In fact i've titled the topic "old fork to throw away" just why from an old and unused fork it's possible reuse a part paying less or nothing.

ciao, Luigi.