Do I Need New Stator Gasket

BOBINOTTAWA

• Member Contributer

I have been having some electrical concerns lately and I want to take my stator cover off. Am I likely needing a new stator gasket. It is an 03 and I had the R/R & battery changed at 6K. 2 years ago. It is now at 21 K and I just changed my R/R again as my CVOLT voltage monitor had shown some spikes from a normal of 15.1 volts, up to 15.6 when the fan came on.

My t-stat needs changing too, but electrical is more important to diagnose.

I have done the main fuse mod last year and from what I remember, the replaced wire never got warm and the fuse holder either but this year, the 10-gauge wire was warm and the fuse holder and attached 12-gauge was getting hot but not showing any signs of burning or melting.

I am not so sure that the new R/R actually helped this time.

So, my next step was going to be to physically examining the stator contents and go thru the complete checkout the r/r & stator how-to write-up. However, when you crack open the stator, is the stator gasket likely to rip or otherwise be destroyed in the process??

Thanks in advance.

• Member Contributer

Don't bother taking the stator cover off. Your problem is almost certainly the R/R monitor wire, check the 6th gen electrical problems post for details, very common.

You would probably not need a new gasket unless you somehow tore up the old one taking it off.

• Member Contributer
Don't bother taking the stator cover off. Your problem is almost certainly the R/R monitor wire, check the 6th gen electrical problems post for details, very common.

You would probably not need a new gasket unless you somehow tore up the old one taking it off.

Thanks. I will go thru the checkout.

Here is the parts quote from the local Victoria, BC Honda dealer...

Stator - $389.41 (actually a full upgrade kit with flywheel and stator)

Gasket - $12.30

Regulator / Rectifier - $179.26

If required, consensus is that Rick's Motorsports is the way to go for a rewound stator http://www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com and a newer R1 Yamaha RR.

Archived