Change In Start-up Behavior

sirimiri

• Member Contributer

Guys, something funny (I think) has happened.

Sometimes, waiting on these streetlights can take...a very long time. So I leave the bike in gear, kill the key switch and put the sidestand down, and wait 3 minutes for a light change. Or more!

Now it used to be (or so I think) that I could merely flick up the sidestand and start the bike up even if it was already (and always) in gear.

Now, if the side stand has gone down, I MUST shift back to neutral for the bike to even start again, even after lifting the sidestand. I don't remember it behaving this way...

Are you all able to start your bikes in gear, with the ss up? Is my switch going funky, albeit slowly?

• Member Contributer

Mmmm, those sound like the two possibilities.

But, my original question: you guys are able to start the bike IN GEAR with the sidestand up, correct? Even if the SS was previous down (like seconds beforehand)?

• Member Contributer

I can start my bike in gear w/ the stand up and clutch pulled in on my 03. If my bike is in gear and sitting on the sidestand, I get on, kick the stand up, pull the clutch in and hit the starter. Varooooom.

• Member Contributer
Mmmm, those sound like the two possibilities.

But, my original question: you guys are able to start the bike IN GEAR with the sidestand up, correct? Even if the SS was previous down (like seconds beforehand)?

Yes, if the clutch is pulled in.

• Member Contributer
Ah, mine won't, I have to shift back to neutral. So that's where I'll be needing to check the clutch or sidestand switch; probably the clutch.

Since I'm a techno-noob, what is is that I should be looking for on the clutch actuator? Something clipped, worn or non-contacting?

Thanks in advance guys

• Member Contributer
Ah, mine won't, I have to shift back to neutral. So that's where I'll be needing to check the clutch or sidestand switch; probably the clutch.

Since I'm a techno-noob, what is is that I should be looking for on the clutch actuator? Something clipped, worn or non-contacting?

Thanks in advance guys

First off, see if it makes a clicking sound when you pull the clutch lever in. After that, try shorting the wires to the side stand switch and see if it works then.

• Member Contributer

I can about guarantee it's the clutch switch on the lever. If the wires are in good shape and the connection isn't corroded, replace the switch. It should take all of 5 min. to do.

• Member Contributer

YET ANOTHER SATISFIED VFR'd customer.

Problem solved--> Jeremy was spot on about the lever actuating the switch and listening for the "click" which I somehow had stopped listening for, even though I know it's supposed to be there. :unsure:

The wheel/dial adjuster got into some sort of odd "terra incognita" in which it no longer would trip the clutch release switch.

1 and a half quick turns on the dial and Voila! back in business.

The VFR maintenence noob thanks you all :thumbsup:

Archived