Maybe I Don't Get It. How Do I Keep Ipod Earbuds In My Ears

Guest tpierce(MP)

I removed the cheek pads from my Arai helmet and installed a pair of Koss headphones in behind the fabric right where my ears sit.

Can you hear the speakers over the wind noise? I assume you use standard foam earplugs to prevent hearing damage and headaches..?

An extra bonus with Etymotic and similar noise-isolating plugs is that they can be used anywhere, whether it be on an airplane, in a coffee shop or in bed.

Yeah, I can hear the music pretty good. The wind noise does get to be a little much a times. I use the standard headphones because I was having trouble keep earbuds in place and they would hurt my ears after a while anyway.

I'll definitely check out the Etymotic earphones and see if that is something I may be able to use on or off the bike. :thumbsup:

Can you get replacement foam? That stuff gets dirty pretty fast. I suppose I could clean my ears, but what if it's not Saturday?

How about taking regular foam ear plugs, using a hot needle or similar to bore a hole through and using that as a replacement? Works good for me with my Koss earbuds and keeps the unnecessary ear cleaning down to once or twice a month. :goofy:

That's what I figured I'd do when the stock plugs get dirtry, probably about November.

I took a slightly different approach.

I too had problem keeping earbuds in my ears when putting on my helmet. I removed the cheek pads from my Arai helmet and installed a pair of Koss headphones in behind the fabric right where my ears sit. I then reinstalled the cheek pads and routed the cord so that just the plug barely hangs out of the side of my helmet just past the front of the cheek pad. I run a headphone extension through my jacket to a volume control and to a Boostaroo headphone amp in my tank bag. I can listen to my iPod or my RAM mounted XM radio.

The sound quality is decent and I can still hear what's going on around me on the road.

That's the same thing I did.....Koss Porta-Pro they detach from the headband easily and fit right in the cheek pads.....most helmets already have a pocket in there for them to fit into.

Archived