Warm-blooded Turn Signal Switch?

Erasmus

Anyone ever heard of something like the following?

On cold mornings (OK, maybe cool - around 55F or below) my 5th gen doesn't want to signal a right turn. I have experimented with pressing and holding the switch to the right, as well as pressing it repeatedly, with roughly the same result. Usually after several seconds, the signal will go. If it is really cold (mid-40s down to as low as 31 that I've seen), then it virtually will not signal, or only after something like 20 seconds of fiddling with it.

However, as I ride into work, the temperature normally rises along the way and by the time my gauge is showing high 50s or low 60s, the signal begins to work better. Then my ride home presents no problem at all, and the signal works flawlessly at the higher ambient temperature. Also, left turn never is effected; that is, it always works instantly.

Any ideas on where I should focus my attention to solve this?

Thanks,

George

Guest 767fixer
Anyone ever heard of something like the following?

On cold mornings (OK, maybe cool - around 55F or below) my 5th gen doesn't want to signal a right turn. I have experimented with pressing and holding the switch to the right, as well as pressing it repeatedly, with roughly the same result. Usually after several seconds, the signal will go. If it is really cold (mid-40s down to as low as 31 that I've seen), then it virtually will not signal, or only after something like 20 seconds of fiddling with it.

However, as I ride into work, the temperature normally rises along the way and by the time my gauge is showing high 50s or low 60s, the signal begins to work better. Then my ride home presents no problem at all, and the signal works flawlessly at the higher ambient temperature. Also, left turn never is effected; that is, it always works instantly.

Any ideas on where I should focus my attention to solve this?

Thanks,

George

relay hanging up. time for a new one

• Member Contributer

My 99 does this a little bit. Yesterday at 41 degrees it was requiring two hits on the switch but returning home at 60 degrees it worked fine. 767Fixer, I think there is no relay for the turn signals, you meant the flasher? That could be it but to me it feels like the switch itself is just not engaging without a more concerted effort. As if the lube is stiff from the cold and resisting my usual casual thumb flick. The "off" function seems to be behaving the same way.

My switch feels exactly the same in terms of resistance regardless of the temperature, and cancel always works immediately. In my case, it is as though the contact inside the switch is sensitive to low temperatures, but I cannot think of a plausible explanation for it. Is it possible to clean the contacts inside that switch housing? My shop manual doesn't go into this level of detail.

I've had this problem too. I don't have to select several times to get the indicator working but it sometimes takes about 5 seconds to start to blink. The LH is abit slow but the RH very slow. Once working the blink rate is normal. I gave the switch a good squirt of contact ceaner and then WD40 and it seemed to help.

As a follow up, I treated my switch as described above last night. I promptly realized that the action of the switch had in fact been fairly stiff. And on this morning's commute (around 46F at the start) I noted quite a difference in signal responsiveness. So thank you all. As usual, these forums pay off in new, useful knowledge.

• Member Contributer
As a follow up, I treated my switch as described above last night. I promptly realized that the action of the switch had in fact been fairly stiff. And on this morning's commute (around 46F at the start) I noted quite a difference in signal responsiveness. So thank you all. As usual, these forums pay off in new, useful knowledge.

Cool, I think I will treat mine too. Did you disassemble before you sprayed?

No disassemble! [sorry, couldn't resist.]

I simply inserted the straw into the slot on either side of the switch slider and more or less blindly gave a couple of shots. Maybe I just got lucky.

• Member Contributer

No disassemble! [sorry, couldn't resist.]

I simply inserted the straw into the slot on either side of the switch slider and more or less blindly gave a couple of shots. Maybe I just got lucky.

Sounds like a plan!

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

My left blinker stopped working altogether yesteday, and the right would work only some of the time. I could tell something was not right with the switch. When I got home I opened the switch up and found the pivot screw was loose. After tightening it up the switch and blinkers now work fine.

• 6 years later...

Going to have to spray mine tonight. Everything was fine when I rolled out of the garrage this morning, but by the time I was five miles down the road the switch wouldn't transfer. My wife would just say that means 23deg is too cold to ride a motorcycle - certianly not! I haven't invested hundreds of dollars in cold weather gear to stop riding when it gets a little chilly. As suggested, I'll just swap to the winter weight blikner fluid!

Archived