RR replacement with another model RR

• Forum CEO

gallery_491_1215_48899.jpg

Compared RR Bigger heat fins and an extra black wire for the new RR

If you getting low voltage readings, or your hotgrips just dont ever seem to get hot, chances are your having a problem with your Regulator Rectifier, the dreaded RR. I was having low heat problems with my heated gear so I thought I would take a look at the RR.

gallery_491_1215_25378.jpg

Burned Out Connector this is the connector on the old RR amazingly with one phase wire missing completely it was still charging the battery with the other two holding on by a thread

The natural stator connector had burned up and yet somehow was still working somewhat enough to charge the battery I was still getting 13 volts at 5k. The wires were exposed and the connector was deep fried like a corn dog!

gallery_491_1215_12855.jpg

different connectors

I bought this RR off a VFRD member who had no idea what to do with it cause the connectors just do not fit, who needs stinking connectors!! Connectors are the weak link anyway just look at mine, the units fine except the darn connector. It starts with a little water, some corrosion, dissimilar metals, a bit of electrolysis and then arching burns the thing up. My solution was to cut off the connectors and just soldier the wires together, not connectors to burn out.

gallery_491_1215_46047.jpg

NO connectors Cut off connectors soldiered them and heat wraped the wires

The wires soldered and heat shrinked into place, the new one had an extra wire for a secondary main relay that does not exist on my bike so I cut it off and just covered up the wire.

Started her up and whoa 14.5 volts right off the bat, first time in over a year my little led volt meter showed green all they way!! I guess that was it! The new one is actually a part from Honda and it was in the 5th gen parts list at Ron Ayers but the connectors were all wrong, I think perhaps it was a euro spec model with Hiss or something, the extra black wire exists on 6th gen bikes cause they have that extra relay?? In any case the new one has more fins bigger fins and is heavier, I had to find longer mounting bolts.

EDIT....

after testing it the voltage would spike past 15 volts and up to 16 volts when I really reved her up. I figured that extra black wire had somthing to do with regulating the voltage so I took out my wire diagrams and looked up the after 99 schematic and found where it was wired too, its part of the engine stop sensor and engine stop switch circuit. I beleived at that moment that is where it reads system voltage and so I tapped a wire into that circuit out of the back of the fuse box and spliced it with a Tee soldier, and connected it to the extra black wire...............sure enough the RR worked properly after that maintaining voltage around 14 - 13volts and not spiking above that like before. So there you have it that extra black wire monitors system voltage