Bridgestone Bt002 Type3 Review

Stéphane

• Member Contributer

First, in a nutshell: The good: Awesome traction when warm. Triangular shape makes it very stable, easy to tip over and a wider contact patch when leaning. The best front tire I have ever had on any motorcycles.

The bad: Need to be warmed up. No recommended in the rain.

The ugly: even after riding for almost 20 years, tons of warnings by others, including people on VFRD and the guy who sold them to me, I dropped the bike on cold tires.

Last spring, I decided to replace my oem BT020 because of poor traction and the fact that they had been on the bike for 4 years. They had 11 000km, and were due to be removed. At the time, I didn't have the $400 + to buy new tires. I remembered that in the early 80s I bought Comp K from racers and rode them on my 82 Katana (fitted with an 86 GSXR750 motor). I loved them. So, I said to myself, why not do it again? For $80, I bought a set of BT002 type 3 (medium compound) from a local racer.

I used to work at a car tire shop in Chilliwack, so I have access to their machine to put them on myself, for free. Also, when I worked there, I noticed that Michelin and Bridgestone tires always spin straight, while other brands have a lot more tires that seem to be out of round. So, I balanced the front and put the rear on with balancing it. No vibration whatsoever.

I rode them for 7 000km. The rear is shut, the front is like new. If you were to do that, I'd recommend to use a type 4 in front. I did commuting (appr. 4 000km) one trip (appr. 1 500km) and "canyon carvings" (appr. 2 500km).

gallery_4229_2149_154965.jpg

I rode them in the rain a couple of times: it started dry, then the rain began to fall. I tipy toed the whole time, never trying to find what they were capable of. I had already dropped the bike, so I was easy on throttle, brakes and steering input. When I stopped at the gas station to put gas, by the time I was finished, the water had evaporated from both tires.

The day I dropped the bike was a Sunday morning in June. I had my Leather suit on, and I was heading to school to do report cards. I left the driveway, cranked the throttle and BANG. I'm on the pavement feeling pretty stupid.

Would I do it again? Probably. I would love to have an extra set of wheels, though.

Bummer!

I just ran through a set of 002 Take-offs that I put one full track day on (F4i) then ran less than 600 street(twisty) miles before they were toast. I loved them on the track bike and never had them slip on the VFR(street use) but I made damn sure they had some temp in them before ever leaning them at all. No problems when ripping in the dry thought(street). I was also very uneasy in wet conditions(not rain) not know what they would do and still don't. :goofy:

I think all race take offs will require more warm up time in street use. I think the first few minutes on most tires can be a problem if your not careful. Sorry for your drop.

ride on! :goofy:

• Member Contributer

I have a set of 002's on my track bike. I never run them without tire warmers so I can't comment on warm up temps. I think that they would be very slow to come to temp and get sticky. If anyone did run them on the street, go very easy until they warm up.

• 4 weeks later...
I have a set of 002's on my track bike. I never run them without tire warmers so I can't comment on warm up temps. I think that they would be very slow to come to temp and get sticky. If anyone did run them on the street, go very easy until they warm up.

I ran 002's and Dunlop 209's on my race bike last year. I COULD go out with out warmers on the 'Stones and have them up to grip in about 1.5 laps. (Warmup and after the first couple corners) Race tires on the street NEVER get warm enough to rely on and the heat cycles kill them pronto. The 'Lops gave me more feedback and turned in great. The 'Stones were very stable and predictable and could be backed in without worry. I found less tendancy to try and stand the bike up with the 'Stones going deep into a corner but they have a heavier carcass, don't deform as much and you feel every bump in the track.

my .02 worth. None of them are suitable for the street as they aren't going to last long enough to be cost effective. (And I've got a garage full of take-offs!)

Race tires on the street NEVER get warm enough to rely on and the heat cycles kill them pronto. ....

my .02 worth. None of them are suitable for the street as they aren't going to last long enough to be cost effective. (And I've got a garage full of take-offs!)

I think that's the crux of the matter.

People often go, "Ooh! Race takeoffs! They'll be uber sticky, and give great handling!" and look at the amount of tread left and think they'll be OK. They forget that the grip comes from the compounds used and the tread is there only to disperse surface water. Unless you're riding like a hoon on the road, the compounds aren't going to get enough heat in them to work effectively. Plus race tyres are designed for only a couple of heat cycles before they're toast, regardless of how much tread they have left.

Road tyres (and road tires too) need to be able to put up with lots of heat cycles, particularly short ones, and need to be able to get up to operational temperature quickly.

Archived