Garmin Software Update

BadDestiny

• Member Contributer

Hello,

I have a Garmin Quest GPS mounted on my VFR using RAM Mounts. No problem there!

It has served me well for the past 2 years but it is now time for me to update the mapping software. (I did not update it since I bought the unit)

When looking at the Garmin Website, I see 2 products that might be of interest, either:

City Navigator for North America

or

City Select for North America

By reading their description, there seem to be no difference between the 2 products!

I know some of you have Garmin GPS (And some even have the Quest)... What software are you using?

What software should I get?

Thanks alot!

I have the Garmin Quest as well. It came with the City Select v6.5. I got a copy of the v7.0 from a friend just to look at, couldn't use it because each copy registers its serial number with each device, so I could view the software with Mapsource, but couldn't update my Units map system. But, from what I could tell, there was nothing different. The same roads that really exist, but don't show up on v6.5, still don't show up on v7.0. I'm sure theres some difference, but in the general city / backroads I've traveled ( KY, TN, GA, NC, SC, FL ) I saw nothing different. Not sure what changes were made from v6.5 to v7.0, but, wasn't worth the upgrade for me. I'm gonna wait and see what/when 7.5 comes out and decide then. No clue about City Navigator though. Good luck.

You want City Navigator® North America v8.

When i purchased my Quest it came with City Select v7, so I was eligible for a free upgrade and that is what they gave me.

What types of diffences did you notice from City Select v7 to City Navigator v8? I'm still eligible for my free upgrade, just didn't upgrade until something game out that was worth getting. From what I could tell, there wasn'tenough diffences in v6.5 and v7 for me to bother. I might use my upgrade on that if its worth it. Thanks.

The major difference between the two is how the map pieces are split up. They made the blocks larger so it could effect loading maps for long trips. But the thing you should know about the free upgrade is that it expires as soon as another version is available.

If you ORIGINALLY & NEWLY unlocked a NEW locked MapSource CD-ROM/DVD-ROM product ON or AFTER the release date of an update for that same product, you are eligible to unlock on that specific update what you unlocked on the original for no charge. In other words, you can update to the latest data for free!

Archived