"splashproof" Good Enough?

Guest Michael Stroh

Guest Michael Stroh

After getting stuck in a parking lot with a failed RR I have decided to install a voltmeter along with the new RR. The vendor for the Datel DMS-20PC-1-DCM voltmeter states that it is "splashproof" and will work in motorcycle applications. Does anyone have any experience, good or bad, with this model. I plan to use the bezel and flush mount it.

I have seen the C-Volt online and it is waterproof, but I like the looks of the Datel model better and want to flush mount it for that OEM look.

Michael

'99 VFR800Fi

• Member Contributer

Mike,

I would say splash proof is good enough. I use the C-volt. Not all C-Volts are waterproof by the way. Mine is not and I have had no issues whether from rain or washing.

If you are dash mounting with the Datel, just put a thin bead of clear silicone under the trim bezel and at wire connections on the back and you should be good to rock.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Michael Stroh

I finally got the R/R and installed it with the Datel voltmeter and all is working well. I have temporarily wired the voltmeter directly to the battery to see the charging level and how well the battery holds a charge. It really is a great comfort to be able to look down and see that I have enough juice in the battery. No longer that dreaded "will I get stranded" feeling.

Only comment I have about the Datel voltmeter is that the red LED is impossible to read in sunlight. Have to sheild it or ride into shade to see the reading. LCD would be better for daytime use. Haven't been caught in the rain yet to find out if "splash proof" is actually good enough.

Michael

Archived