Helmet Sizing

Guest Coolboy55

Guest Coolboy55

So I got an XL CKX helmet which felt alright in the store, but now that I've been using it for a while, I feel that there is too much room on the sides of my head. The problem is that it is snug front and back. An L tended to feel a bit tight on the forehead. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Most manufactures make several shape Shells in each size, the two most common shapes are Round and Oval. Some may even make a third shape shell.

You need to figure out if you head is round or oval first, then try the models of each brand that cater to that(your) shape head.

Good luck! :goofy:

• Member Contributer
So I got an XL CKX helmet which felt alright in the store, but now that I've been using it for a while, I feel that there is too much room on the sides of my head. The problem is that it is snug front and back. An L tended to feel a bit tight on the forehead. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Soak your head in hot water for several days and put it in a vice to correct the shape?

Seriously, try a more oval shaped helmet. It will be easier on yoiur head.

There are three basic shapes. Round. medium oval and long oval.

Traditionally Shoei has been round. Arai has been long oval.

I hear that is changing lately and the manufacturers make more than one shape of helmet. Take a trip to the motorcycle store that stocks helmets and try them on for a while.

The sales turkey should know which brand is which shape. If not, ignore the turkey and go it on your own.

You should be able to tell if you have a "hot spot" within a reasonable period of time. A small one can be repaired with judicious use of your thumb. A bigger interference fit, requires a different helmet.

If you are lucky the store will have a gorgeous girl who understands the concepts of proper helmet fit.

When you find what is the right shape, make sure that it will not become too big when it "breaks in". It shouldn't hurt after you put in on but the skin on your head and face should move with the helmet with you try to rotate it.

After you have found what fits properly (and, hopefully, enjoyed the girl's help) buy the one you found from that store. You owe them that. They did their job. They had the product there for you to examine.

Good luck.

BTW, this info is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Look at an Arai. They make a helmet for just about every shaped head out there. I have one, and I will never own a different helmet.

Check out their webpage, and get yourself to someone that sells them. You can't order one on-line and have Arai back it, because they are fanatical about making sure that someone fits it correctly for you. The person that I had do it was great, and I learned a lot.

http://www.araiamericas.com/

Later,

Jeff

Guest DangerMonkey
Look at an Arai. They make a helmet for just about every shaped head out there. I have one, and I will never own a different helmet.

+1.

Read

http://www.araihelmet-europe.com/site/site2/antwoorden/5.htm

http://www.araihelmet-europe.com/site/site...twoorden/13.htm

Shoei does something similiar but I'm not as familiar with their line.

The "inexpensive" helmets are made from the same shell: one size (XXL), one shape. They adjust sizes by putting different amounts of foam/padding in the XXL shell. Arais and Shoeis are expensive because they make several sizes and shapes of shell.

Archived