Brand New Boots And Panties

Well, not new boots 'n panties - more like new boots and glovesies. :D

And they're not punk - they ROCK!

When I left my employers of nearly seven years, the staff and company gave me a handsome hunk of cash money (which me wife/accountant/porcupine spent on bills. As you do...) However (BUT!) eventually we caught up again, and she made me go shopping with her. We bypassed the beautiful blue 2005 Triumph Sprint ST in the front of Kerry's motorcycle shop, and went to the back where the accessories hung out. On the walls.

Kerry had ordered in several pairs of boots, but was unable to source the Spidi Sport Comp H2Out gloves I wanted, as they 'were out of stock'. Soap, I settled for a pair of Spidi Raven H2Out - not as well armoured, but then they were also NZ$90 cheaper. :beer:

The boots? They're sorta the replacement for my long-suffering and battle-tested StylMartin Stradas, but only more betterer. The (Da-da-da-da-da-da-DAHH!!): The StylMartian StylSafe. Stupid name, for a very clever boot.

It's leather outer, it's waterproof, it breathes, and like the Strada, it's very comfy. The boot has the same basic features as the Strada: ankle cups both sides, shin, toe and heel protection, half zip, velcro fastening/adjustment (both sides!), grippy rubber sole, and reflector patch. But (however/also/in addition) there is another 'boot' inside all this. Sorta like a ski-boot 'sock', this boot has breathable/waterproof material, activated carbon insole (so it never gets smelly - even after 4 years of almost daily use!), padded material, and several (4, I think) carbon fibre shields: one for each side of the ankle, and one for each side of the lower leg. There's also a padded carbon fibre shield in the shin part of the boot itself.

And how are they?

The gloves were comfy, albeit a little slippery due to the leather treatment.

The boots were also, but a little stiff, and I couldn't feel the gearlever properly, but I know that will improve. And they were both nice'n'warm (it's 'winter' here, y'know, with temperatures this morning as low as 12C.)

Update:

I've worn these all week now (apart from today), and they've got better and betterer. :D

I could feel the gearlever (AND change gear) just fine after the first two days, and I've got the fitting (via the velcro each side) just right. They rawk! (That means they're good.)

Today, by way of contrast, I wore my GoodOleStyleMartianStradas. :beer:

They felt like non-boots. Slippers or summat.

Very thin (woffer theen, in fact...), and insubstantial.

I also wore my old (hated) Orina Denvers (Urine-ah Gomers). And actually, comfort-wise, they measured up OK.

Which is sad.

Having paid more than a few shekels for the Ravens.

Must not tell the Accountant/Wife/Porcupine - she'll be peestoff.

So, I think I'll retire the Stradas permanently, which means giving them to #2 Son, who starts work on Monday a block down the road from my new job, and who is going to be joining the BikingFraternity. Apparently. :thumbsup:

I checked out your new boots on the manufacturer's website. They look really nice :thumbsup: I may try to find a pair of those for my next boot purchase. I had the same shifting issue with my Oxtar Matrix boots when I first got them, but they broke in fairly quickly. Honestly, I like my Joe Rocket boots better than the Oxtar's because they have a real boot tread on the bottom instead of just a flat, patterned sole. Your StylMartin boots look to have a fairly decent sole too. Thanks for the report.

Your StylMartin boots look to have a fairly decent sole too.

Indeed they do! :thumbsup: They are about 3/4" (more at the heel) of rubbery goodness.

My old ones (the Stradas) have pretty much the same sole, and I actually did a bit of hiking in them at Easter. They were actually better (more comfy) than my hiking boots!

The only thing about the StylSafe boots is they are VERY understated. Just a bit more bling would be good, given what they cost. But, in the end, with the discount, they cost me the same as the Sidi Strada Tepor Evo would have, and they are definitely better in that they are leather instead of Lorica (plastic!), and have CF protection. In any case, my pants don't tuck in, so the boots are largely hidden anyway.

tn_gallery_3710_217_16229.jpg

In case anyone gives a rodent's rectum....

Oh - BTW; one of the boy's rats died yesterday. Houdini was about a Zillion and twelve, in RatYears. Now Bruce is all alone. We gave 'Dini a great send-off: packed him into a cellphone box, and consigned him to the rubbish bag, so he can go to The Great Garbage Dump In TheSky....

Seriously though, he'll be missed. sad.gif Bruce was most distressed, and was squeaking and complaining about being all alone.

Now where was I...? Oh yeah.

Here's a couple of pix of the carbon fibre in the boots, in case anyone gives a damn.

gallery_3710_217_441596.jpg

StyleMartin 1 Inside of StylMartin "StylSafe" boot, showing carbon fibre shin and ankle cups.

gallery_3710_217_67192.jpg

StylMartin 2 Inside of front shin guard; the carbon fibre panel has sort of waffle-moulded padding for comfort and impact resistance.

We gave 'Dini a great send-off: packed him into a cellphone box, and consigned him to the rubbish bag, so he can go to The Great Garbage Dump In TheSky....

He can mix with my used erl and filters that I contribute to that same Garbage Dump........ :goofy:

• Member Contributer
He can mix with my used erl and filters that I contribute to that same Garbage Dump........ :goofy:

Trace,

Figured you would launch into a verbal attack about the "carbon fiber" or is it "fibre" in NZ, in the new boots.

Enzed,

Good to hear from you again. Hope the new job is going well. I have been missing your colorful language. Sorry to hear about the rat. I can loan you a ferret but you'll have to come and get him.

Ernie

Trace,

Figured you would launch into a verbal attack about the "carbon fiber" or is it "fibre" in NZ, in the new boots.

Yeah, I thought of that. But at least it's functional rather than just for show, and you have to look for it to find where it's hiding.

Enzed,

Good to hear from you again. Hope the new job is going well. I have been missing your colorful language. Sorry to hear about the rat. I can loan you a ferret but you'll have to come and get him.

Ernie

Thanx, Ernie.

Apart from Bruce the Rat, the boys were a bit upset. At least he died in his sleep. Shibby had to be put down, and it took quite a bit of research and thought to work out how to do it in a way that wasn't distressing to him, me, or the boys.

The new job is going OK - I'm very busy (hence the lack of postings) and the people are very friendly and pleasant. No other bikers though (compared with a few in the last job), although my boss used to have a CB900, and the guy I'm replacing used to ride Kawasakis (now drives sportscars). Also, the bike has to live outside in the cold and rain, and the only place to park is in a 'No Parking' space next to a disabled park.

I tried parking on the cobblestones next to the picnic table, but got stuck in the soggy, muddy lawn... :goofy:

Yaaaah, I was gunna take a swipe at the Carbone Fibreer (becuz I hate phony carbon fiber stickon crap!), but since this was not visible AND it actually does something, his booties get extra bonus points!

Archived