Looking to get CB Radio on bike

Hobie1dog

I just bought a set of Cobra HH38 WXST radios for Jane and I.  they are CB radios.Technically you need a licence to use everything else, whereas with CB you don't.  We will put them in the tank bag and hook them up to the Starcom1.  We are still waiting for her Starcom1 to arrive.  As soon as I get our set up done I will take pics and post them.

As far as a clean look, everything will go into the tankbag.  For the distance we will be using them - less than a mile - antenna placement will not be an issue for us.  Our plan is to use them for bike to bike communications only.  Although if one wanted to listen in on the truckers while on the interstate, one might have to be a little more discriminating on antenna placement.  I have seen license plate brackets for use in such situations.

Do you think the standard antennae would pick up ok inside the tank bag for most of the roads/interstates/flat areas? I don't really want to add an external antennae

• Member Contributer

I installed a J&M Corp handlebar-mount CB for communication with Wingers. www.jmcorp.com

I have the solo version but they also make a 2-up version. I found handlebar mounting a non-option on my '02 as it would hit the windscreen on a right turn. I mounted mine on a custom bracket below GPS. Both on a RAM mount attachd to the tank bolts. Downside is I have to take my left hand off the bars to transmit.

bikelec_03.JPG border='0' alt='user posted image' />

I bought my antennae from Radio Shack a few years ago. Mounted on an angle bracket bolted to grap rail.

bikelec_11.JPG border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Comments: The J&M setup ain't cheap. The amplified music input with CB over-ride and being water resistant are nice features. I experimented with grounding to reduce electrical noise during transmit, its good now but not perfect. I did have one of my knobs vibrate off, but J&M customer service was excellent.

Archived