Driving lights?

cianciar

• Member Contributer

Looking to add driving lights and was looking for how much it would cost and where to install them. Saw some cheap auto lights at discount auto parts and thought they might work. Any options out there?

Looking to add driving lights and was looking for how much it would cost and where to install them.  Saw some cheap auto lights at discount auto parts and thought they might work.  Any options out there?

I'm sure you can use any lights, as long as you don't exceed the amount of power available for use on the bike(alternator output?)

PIAA makes a few nice sets, but they are mucho $$.

• Member Contributer

I like the lights mounted high like that. I was also thinking either below the oem lights or I heard some people have mounted them on the brakes. I'll have to look the brake one up.

I'd suggest mounts that are attached at the base of the mirrors--like the Electrical Connection setup. I'll probably do this mod, but put them above the mirror stock rather than below. I don't think there's much room under the nose of the bike when the suspension is fully compressed.

The Motolights are the ones that mount on the fork legs. Nicely made, but rather pricey (~$300 IIRC).

I think when it comes to bang-for-the-buck, the Hella FF50's are a good deal. They aren't too big, they're available cheap on Ebay, and the light output (from what I've read elsewhere) is excellent for the price and size.

Has anyone installed the Electrical Connection kit?

If so, do you have any close up photos of the brackets mounted and unmounted?

How thick are the brackets? Did the kit come with bolts that were longer or were the original mirror mounting bolts deemed sufficient?

TIA

Guest SagaciousDupe

I haven't installed the elec. connect kit, but did run across this review:

http://will.mylanders.com/mc/notes/read.pl?file=265

That site also had another good article on driving lights:

A couple of key points from the article:

~They prefer 'driving' lights vs 'fog' lamps for the light pattern

~Avoid mounting to the wheel / fork area. Reason: When mounted here, the lights are subject to a lot more vibration (no suspension)

http://will.mylanders.com/mc/notes/read.pl?file=209

It's a pretty good site...lots of subjects and reading!

http://will.mylanders.com/mc/notes/

Kevin

sad.gif I would love some extra lightage ... but my experience with my aux volt meter in my dash - shows that the alternator can't handle the extra load. Just sitting in traffic, idling on a hot day with the radiator fan going >> the volts dip under 12v. I know there have been many many previous topics regarding regulator/alternator issues. I did have mine fixed under some service bulletin - but it still seems to have weak output.

zw

• 1 month later...
Guest tharos

it is my experience that you have to stay within the wattage capability of the vfr. i would use under 200 watts as a measure. putting on new lights at 55-60 watts x2 would overload it. hella makes nive add ons and reasonable. but i put in the new Philips +50s H4s on the vfr and they made enough of a difference that i blew off the add on lights. i even had a cop tell me to lower my high beam, which was not on. they run about 30 a pair and make a big difference. thye are 60/55 wattage each. i would go with this first then see if you need more. the vfr can cary 399 watts out of the stator but around 200 for the lights seems max.

Probably not the cheap answer you were looking for, but give you an idea for mounting...

When looking at the Electrical Connection gear, read their caveat:

We seriously understand that one kit cannot fit the needs of all users, but based on our testing, we think we have most of you covered. We have found that users fall into one of three groups:

1. Safety minded. Priority is to make themselves more noticeable to other drivers.

2. Seeking additional light to improve road visibility.

3. Long distance rider that out-rides the bike's high beams.

If you fall into either category 1 or 2, our kits should work well for you. If you are a category 3 rider, our kits are probably not what you seek.

I read this as low light output - but then I'm thinking that auxilary lights that don't pentrate further than one's high beams are a waste of money. After all, you can achieve points 1 & 2 with a flashlight duct taped to your helmet...

Archived