97 VFR Shock Rebuild

Guest kelownavfr

Guest kelownavfr

I just had the rear shock rebuilt for my 97 VFR by a company called RMR Suspensions in Vancouver, B.C. Spending over $800 US on an aftermarket shock was unfortunately not an option I was able to afford. I'm sure there are a few other members on this site with the same problem, so I thought I should let others know how everything went.

After a lengthy phone conversation with RMR Suspensions I decided to have them rebuild the rear shock and replace the spring. RMR rebuilt the shock internals, added a schrader valve so that the shock can now be recharged, and replaced the tired old spring with a brand new unit. Since my fiancee generally rides with me, the guys as RMR suggested I replace the stock spring with a slightly stronger one to account for the extra load. They tested the whole assembly on their chassis dyno to make sure everything was up to spec and then shipped it back.

From start to finish the whole procedure took about 4 weeks. RMR hit a bit of a snag when the spring they ordered for my bike accidentally got shipped to another shop, so it took about 3 weeks longer than they said it would. The wait was definitely worth it though.

The bike now rides far better than it ever did before and the rear end feels far more securely planted coming out of the corners. The stock shock seemed to squat down far too much when rolling on the throttle, especially coming out of the corners. At a combined weight of around 300 lbs, my financee and I hardly weigh enough to bottom the suspension but the old shock didn't quite seem up to the task.

The best part of the whole deal was the cost. Total cost for the complete rebuild and the new spring was only $360 Canadian including all taxes and shipping. If I had not had to replace the spring it would have cost $140 less.

If any one is interested in getting a hold of the guys at RMR Suspensions just log on to their website at http://www.rmrsuspensions.com/

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the tip! I wonder how the price you got compares to Race Tech.

I'm picking up a '97 tomorrow, and have no idea what, if anything, has been done to the suspension. It has about 21,000 miles on it, so I expect the shock to be tired by now.

Thanks for sharing your positive experience !

Any plans to tighten up the front and do you know what spring they installed on your shock (lbs or kg wise)? :thumbsup:

Thanks for posting--RMR is just down the road, so I think I'll talk with them about the tired old shock on my '93. They have a Penske sport shock for $775, but that's a little steep--especially when I should be spending some $$ on the race bike suspension.

Guest kelownavfr
Thanks for the tip!  I wonder how the price you got compares to Race Tech.

I'm picking up a '97 tomorrow, and have no idea what, if anything, has been done to the suspension.  It has about 21,000 miles on it, so I expect the shock to be tired by now.

In answer to your question baileyrock, I believe they said they installed a spring rated for 950 lbs. The stock spring is supposed to be good for around 700-750 lbs RMR said but they mentioned that according to their chassis dyno my stock spring had sagged out to the 500 lb range. Needless to say, it just did not measure up.

Bill (kelownavfr)

In answer to your question baileyrock, I believe they said they installed a spring rated for 950 lbs.  The stock spring is supposed to be good for around 700-750 lbs RMR said but they mentioned that according to their chassis dyno my stock spring had sagged out to the 500 lb range.  Needless to say, it just did not measure up.

Bill (kelownavfr)

Did you find out if the shock rate went down that far just because of the age of the bike or would it be from the mileage on the bike?

Guest kelownavfr
Did you find out if the shock rate went down that far just because of the age of the bike or would it be from the mileage on the bike?

I think it was a little of both actually there Hobie1dog. The bike only has 41000 kms, but the last 20,000 kms or so have been done with my fiancee on the back so I would imagine that has something to do with it as well. I have heard from others on this board and from the guys at RMR that the stock shock on the VFR's was not exactly rated for consistent two-up riding.

The front forks have Race Tech springs (not sure what the spring rate is) that were put in when I had the front forks replaced in 2004.

I went for a good ride through the twisties with my fiancee yesterday along a road outside Salmon Arm called Salmon River Road. I have ridden this road many times and the difference in handling was incredible. My fiancee noticed when we got back to the house that it was a bit hard to put back up on the center stand and after measuring the ride height I noticed that the back end rides a 1/2" lower than before. I will likely have to drop the front end to compensate though I do not want to go too far or the side stand will be too long. This could cause the bike to stand too close to vertical when parked and thus run the risk of falling over if nudged. Something to ponder on at a later date, now it is time to ride and enjoy.

I think it was a little of both actually there Hobie1dog.  The bike only has 41000 kms, but the last 20,000 kms or so have been done with my fiancee on the back so I would imagine that has something to do with it as well.  I have heard from others on this board and from the guys at RMR that the stock shock on the VFR's was not exactly rated for consistent two-up riding. 

The front forks have Race Tech springs (not sure what the spring rate is) that were put in when I had the front forks replaced in 2004. 

I went for a good ride through the twisties with my fiancee yesterday along a road outside Salmon Arm called Salmon River Road.  I have ridden this road many times and the difference in handling was incredible.  My fiancee noticed when we got back to the house that it was a bit hard to put back up on the center stand and after measuring the ride height I noticed that the back end rides a 1/2" lower than before.  I will likely have to drop the front end to compensate though I do not want to go too far or the side stand will be too long.  This could cause the bike to stand too close to vertical when parked and thus run the risk of falling over if nudged.  Something to ponder on at a later date, now it is time to ride and enjoy.

Hi Kelownavfr

OI have been following along with the emails here. I need you to measure the ride height on the rear. Measure it when it is on the center stand, so that it is at full lenght. Then measure it when you are sitting on it in a normal riding position. Then with know one on it. Then give me the measurements? How is the turn in and exits of the corners?

Rod

RMR Suspensions

Guest kelownavfr
Hi Kelownavfr

OI have been following along with the emails here. I need you to measure the ride height on the rear. Measure it when it is on the center stand, so that it is at full lenght. Then measure it when you are sitting on it in a normal riding position. Then with know one on it. Then give me the measurements? How is the turn in and exits of the corners?

Rod

RMR Suspensions

Hi Rod

Good to hear from you Rod and I'm glad you have been reading and following the string. I will measure the ride height get the numbers back to you. Do you want the measurements with my finacee on the bike as well or does it not matter? As I noted earlier on, the ride height is a bit lower than it used to be and I notice it more when the VFR is on the side stand because of the angle the bike sits at when it is on the side stand. The bike stands more upright than it did before when I have it parked in the garage.

The turn in seems a bit slower than it used to be but not by a huge amount, but it does feel really secure coming out of the corners. The bike does not seem to squat near as much as before when accelerating out of the corners even if the throttle is wide open. She squats and stays well planted and the front end doesn't feel quite as light as it used to coming out of the corners under throttle. This, I would imagine, is due to the fact that the rear shock is not compressing fully under load as the spring is now a fair bit stronger than before.

I must say thanks Rod to you and your staff, you did a great job and I am extremely pleased. I have recommended you to a couple of friends here in Kelowna and I will not hesitate to do so in the future. :D :thumbsup:

Guest kelownavfr
Hi Kelownavfr

Rod

RMR Suspensions

Hi Again Rod,

I checked and measured the ride height as you requested and the measurements are as follows.

Ride Height on center stand - 19 1/2"

Ride Height on ground - No passengers - 16 1/2"

Ride Height on ground - Driver only - 16 1/8"

All the measurements were from concrete slab to a fixed point on the passenger rear footrest. If you need the actual measurements of the length of the shock itself let me know. When I measured the sag on the suspension last year to the same point on the passenger foot rest the measurement was 16 1/2", so the actual difference is 3/8".

Let me know if you need anything else Rod.

Thanks

Bill (kelownavfr)

Hi Again Rod,

I checked and measured the ride height as you requested and the measurements are as follows.

Ride Height on center stand - 19 1/2"

Ride Height on ground - No passengers - 16 1/2"

Ride Height on ground - Driver only - 16 1/8"

All the measurements were from concrete slab to a fixed point on the passenger rear footrest.  If you need the actual measurements of the length of the shock itself let me know.  When I measured the sag on the suspension last year to the same point on the passenger foot rest the measurement was 16 1/2", so the actual difference is 3/8". 

Let me know if you need anything else Rod. 

Thanks 

Bill (kelownavfr)

Bill

Can you give me the measurements off the swingarm and also give me a measurement with no riders. This is called the free sag.

Rod

Guest kelownavfr
Bill

Iwant  you to back the preload off all the way out. Then give me the measurements.

Thanks Rod

Hey Rod

I have redone the measurements as you requested. Measurements were taken between a fixed point on the frame and center of the rear drive axle.

Bike on Center Stand 19 7/8"

Bike upright - no load 18 3/8"

Bike upright - driver only 17 7/8"

I hope these measurements help. Let me know if you need anything else.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info! This was the first thing I wanted to inquire about on this forum (I am a new member today). I have 49K on my 93 viffer and I know the rear shock needs attention. I will definately call these guys up!

Thumbs up for VFR Discussion Group!

-Dave Sokacz

(VFRD) :offtopic:

Archived