VTEC clearance check results

Lobster

• Member Contributer

The pic below is a list of the valve clearance results for my bike from my local dealer. I have a college education and can't make heads or tails of this. I'm not sure which ones are VTEC and which ones are normal. Any of you have any guesses? It also looks like only half the valves were checked...and apparently I have 2 number 2 cylinders and no number 3 cylinder...

I'd appreciate any comments.

gallery_1904_251_107992.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

16k valve check results

• Member Contributer

Uuhhh...well...hmmm...I give up.

Seriously, I would take that chicken scratch back to the "mechanic" and have him or his boss try to explain it to you.

Did they do a complete job? Did they replace any shims or buckets? Where are the old parts? Does the shop have slide pin stopper tools? Do they know how to use them?

That is a disgrace, I hope they didn't gouge you for to much money. :goofy:

How does the bike run?

• Member Contributer
Uuhhh...well...hmmm...I give up.

Seriously, I would take that chicken scratch back to the "mechanic" and have him or his boss try to explain it to you.

Did they do a complete job? Did they replace any shims or buckets? Where are the old parts? Does the shop have slide pin stopper tools? Do they know how to use them?

That is a disgrace, I hope they didn't gouge you for to much money.  :goofy:

How does the bike run?

The bike runs actually really well. I only had a short trip home from the dealer, but it actually seems a bit crisper than before. The wierd thing is that the exhaust note changed significantly. It sounds about the same with no load, but once under way underload, it sounds fakey / tinny / cheesy...like one of those non-Harley cruisers with some cheap pipes trying to sound like a Harley. (I have a gutted stock exhaust.) Maybe as the new lifters break in the noise will change again?

Maybe I'm just imagining these things...

I don't have the old parts becuase they couldn't find them because the tech was "out". They're supposed to drop them off at my house...we'll see...

it's all going to depend on the individual. he may only write things down if it's out of spec. so that he can figure out what size parts he needs to fix it. he may have some other scheme... who knows.

it's very tempting to get on an anonymous mechanic's back from the safety of on online forum - but it doesn't do much good.

if you really want to know the details - you need to talk to the mechanic himself and have him run you through it. developing a friendly relationship with your mechanic can be very helpful down the road.

Guest The BS'r

Looks to me that there are some numbers missing. Looks like the easy ones (valves) were checked but not the vtec valves......what does everyone else think? How much did you pay for this valve check? If it was if it was in the $500 to $700 range you got ripped. I think people with better memory than I will jump in here and say that it's the vtec valves that were not checked.

Guest The BS'r

You can't check the valve clearence on the vtec valves without installing the little dohickys and the involves removing cams.

• Member Contributer
The pic below is a list of the valve clearance results for my bike from my local dealer.  I have a college education and can't make heads or tails of this.  I'm not sure which ones are VTEC and which ones are normal.  Any of you have any guesses?  It also looks like only half the valves were checked...and apparently I have 2 number 2 cylinders and no number 3 cylinder...

I'd appreciate any comments.

valve check results[/b]

They only check the normal valves and did not check the VTEC valves. The ones with no measurement are the VTEC valves. They cannot be measured without removing the camshafts, valve lifters, removing the VTEC springs, installing slide pin stoppers, and reinstalling everything without the VTEC springs. You must then of course undo this operaton after measurement.

• Member Contributer

Your mechanic may know exactly what he's doing and have done a very thorough, proper job. But from the looks of this chicken scratch he didn't do the V-tec valves and or has some explaining to do. This is exactly why I'm trying it myself. I would think just meeting the guy will either put your mind at ease or have you concerned.

Please let us know what you find out.

Archived