New to GPS

Guest montero1

Guest montero1

I was looking at the 06 Goldwing with GPS. It has the function where you key in the destination address, and it leads you there. You can do it by street# or zip code. Are all GPS units like this?

Almost every GPS unit does this.... not all but almost all.... I have a Garmin GPS V, and a Streetpilot III that all you need to do is input the address and the GPS unit will route you to the destination in either a fast route or a shorter route whatever is your particular preference...

Hope this helps

Keith

Guest montero1
Almost every GPS unit does this.... not all but almost all.... I have a Garmin GPS V, and a Streetpilot III that all you need to do is input the address and the GPS unit will route you to the destination in either a fast route or a shorter route whatever is your particular preference...

Hope this helps

Keith

Sorry if it was a stupid question, but I've never used one before. What about the Tom Tom Rider, anyone used one? What would a Garmin have that the Tom Tom doesn't?

• Member Contributer
I was looking at the 06 Goldwing with GPS. It has the function where you key in the destination address, and it leads you there. You can do it by street# or zip code. Are all GPS units like this?

Not all but many are.

Sometimes, they will even take you on an interesting ride on a ferry if you tell them 'shortest' route.

It is kinda like a talking map that can think.

Just be careful when you start pushing the buttons. It is easy to get distracted.

Guest montero1
Not all but many are.

Sometimes, they will even take you on an interesting ride on a ferry if you tell them 'shortest' route.

It is kinda like a talking map that can think.

Just be careful when you start pushing the buttons.  It is easy to get distracted.

I'll probably have to go and see some to chose the one I like best-I'll want a cordless one, so

I can use it in my cages also. Do they make generic mounting kits, or are they sold per model?

• Member Contributer

I'm considering a Garmin Quest 2, but keep in mind a GPS unit may not always compute the "best" route. For example, earlier this week a friend of mine and I were headed to a destination in Columbus, OH from Detroit. We knew the route, drive it a lot and there was no construction, but we wanted to see how his Magellan would route us. It took us to Toledo (as you would expect), but then surprisingly east over to Cleveland, then down to Columbus.

No matter what choices he made on his touch screen for a shorter route/time, had we taken the GPS route it would have added a 100 mile (90 minute) "detour" to what is a normal straight shot down I-75 and over to Ohio 15. (300 vs 200 miles). So when we "missed" the turn in Toledo, it automatically rerouted us to our "normal" route that we took anyway.

So when you're doing route planning it's always best to check it against a map for routes that clearly don't make sense. Please don't misunderstand me...GPS capabilities are truly phenominal and by all means get one.

Moral of the story is that while this scenario may not happen very often, just don't be overly reliant on the technology by assuming it's giving you the best route choices everytime.

Welcome to the confusing world of GPS. There are GPSs and GPSs, and then there is the software. The next BIG thing in cellphones is going to be GPS - which means that the price of the standalone unit should start to drop rapidly sometime in 2007... {I confess that I do not have one, yet.}

Not all GPS units are the same.

Recently, for example, Garmin has been selling simplified models for automotive use (StreetPilot C series). A indicator of the unit's intended use is that they tend to be button free - all functions are via a touch screen. The software in these units works in a simple point and shoot mode. Enter a destination and within guidelines it will get you there. However, it only considers the one destination. Many of the folk here would miss the ability to plan out a long trip and download the route into the GPS.

Arguably, the most versatile Garmin models for motorcycle use are the StreetPilot 26xx/27xx series. They have full functionality, large memories, downloadable (which means upgradeable) maps, and some useful features. One that I particularly like is the audio feature where upcoming interchanges are announced. I rode with one of these and it meant that you never actually looked at the GPS, but listened to the prompts instead - simply fabulous.

I personally don't think that you give up much to move down in size & weight (and cost) to a Quest/Quest 2 - so, this would be my choice (saving shekels now).

Now, Garmin is getting into the supersized GPS market with 7 inch screens, bluetooth, XM radios, traffic reporting (and automatic re-routing around accidents!)...

Then there are the waterproof marine units... and the handhelds and the PC add-ons for that tablet PC you've always needed for the VFR... :salesman:

Always check out the mapping software, though. Regardless of the case, your happiness with your GPS purchase will lie with the software inside. VIPERon makes a great point. I see the same sort of "error" in the mapping routing software that I used daily.

{No affiliations - YMMV - etceteras}

I use a Garmin 2610 and love it. It's so versatile. I can work up routes on my pc, download them into the unit and I'm off. Or if just out exploring, it will track where you've been so you'll be able to recall it for another time, or get you un-lost<G> And I can take it when I'm traveling with four wheels.

Enjoy which ever mobil unit you decide on, or the wings integrated unit.

Kirk

• Member Contributer

I have the first Garmin V which is a great unit but I hate downloading the detail. The new Garmin 2720 has no hard drive so it is shock resistant, also it has the detail for the entire US already downloaded so it ready to rock out of the box. And its water resistant so it appears to be the ideal motorcycle GPS.

Stick with the Garmin. They stand behind their products and their mapping software is very good. Don't rule out the marine units. The 276-C and 376-C are much easier to read on a cycle. The screen changes depending on the lighting. The 26xx's are better in a car.

• Member Contributer
gallery_5747_796_337716.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Lowrance I500

Montero, looks like you got a portable DVD player there...are we gonna watch a movie? +1.gif So what's your initial impression of the Lowrance so far...what made you decide vice a Garmin or Magellan? I had always wondered about a Lowrance, but never really considered one.

Guest montero1
Montero, looks like you got a portable DVD player there...are we gonna watch a movie?  :goofy:  So what's your initial impression of the Lowrance so far...what made you decide vice a Garmin or Magellan?  I had always wondered about a Lowrance, but never really considered one.

A few of my old BMW buddies have them. It is BIG, easy to read easy to use, and YOU CAN pre plan a trip, you just have to use third party software, like Microsoft streets and trips. Of course it plays mp3s, and it comes with EVERYTHING you need to mount it to the VFR (02-05). Mounts right into the tank bolts. I may get a 5 inch arm down the road, so it can clear my tank bag if I have to use the extra capacity pop up. I paid 639.99.

A few of my old BMW buddies have them. It is BIG, easy to read easy to use, and YOU CAN pre plan a trip, you just have to use third party software, like Microsoft streets and trips. Of course it plays mp3s, and it comes with EVERYTHING you need to mount it to the VFR (02-05). Mounts right into the tank bolts. I may get a 5 inch arm down the road, so it can clear my tank bag if I have to use the extra capacity pop up.  I paid 639.99.

That's the one I'm saving up for....built in 10gig capacity for 2500 songs.......I was hoping someone would make a combination GPS and an iPod.....Here it is.

Guest montero1
That's the one I'm saving up for....built in 10gig capacity for 2500 songs.......I was hoping someone would make a combination GPS and an iPod.....Here it is.

Speaking of I-pods, I've never used one. If I pay to download from a site like I-tunes, do I just save the songs to my computer hard drive, or do I need some software first?

Nice. That means that we can listen to the opera while riding through the countryside.

Guest Aardvark892
Speaking of I-pods, I've never used one. If I pay to download from a site like I-tunes, do I just save the songs to my computer hard drive,  or do I need some software first?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the iPod should let you a)download the music to your harddrive for later transfer to the iPod, and b)let you d/l the song directly into your iPod. Also, if you already have a collection of music on your harddrive, you will be able to d/l them into your iPod; you can make playlists for easier transfer, depending on what software you have in your computer for music playback (i.e. Windows Media Player, etc.)

Hope this helps.

Tim

• Member Contributer

I am considering the Streetpilot 2730 GPS. I'm not sure if it will allow you to d/l maps so you can pre-route your trip, but I think it will allow you to create a route working on the GPS unit itself. It's got a built-in XM receiever, and does the XMNavTraffic as well as XMNavWeather. It's got a 750MB(I think) built-in drive that allows you to play mp3s/audiobooks, etc....The feature that I like about it is that coupled with the XM radio, it's got an FM transmitter, so you can tune an XM station, and transmit it to a (probably very) local radio tuned to the same frequency. Useful at HOME, as well as in the car or on a ride....

Just my $0.02

Guest dduelin

I have been using a Garmin 2730 about a month (3300 miles) on my ST1300 and in the cage. I am partial to Garmin and have owned 4 Garmin models since 1996. I sold marine electronics for about 6 years until recently and will give one last plug here to Garmin - their customer support is far better than their competitors. You might have to wait a few minutes but you always get to talk to someone knowledgeable on the phone which is invaluable with these fairly complex items. We sold other brands than Garmin so I know firsthand how helpful they are.

I chose the 2730 over the 2610 or 2720 for the added XM satellite radio and MP3 features. It is a nice and fully integrated installation on the bike. I used a Ram Mount installation and I can swap the unit between bike and car in a few seconds.

You can use Garmin's Mapsource software to pre-plan routes on the PC but you also can point and shoot routes to create new routes right on the GPS itself and that is what I do. If you know intersections and roads you can pick them right off the map screen or you can insert waypoints by inserting street/road intersections by name or you can just insert origin and destination and let the GPS pick the roads in between. You can tell it to pick faster route, shortest route, avoid back roads or avoid major roads. Almost too many choices. All functions are touchscreen and easy to handle when riding - safety first .

• Member Contributer

I just picked up a Magellan 760. It has a multipal destination feature that is a must in my buisness. More important than Music, or Topo maps, in my book. Plus it comes preloaded with all of north america. It has proven to be quite useful so far.

It is great for me, and I hope that it works well when i mount it to my VFR this summer.

I also looked at the Tom Tom Rider, but it really didn't offer much more, but cost penty more in money. I did like the blue tooth head phone option, and the fact it was pretty small, but I needed the features that the 760 offered.

• 3 months later...

I picked up a Whistler WGPX-550 a month ago and just took it for it's maiden voyage on my vacation to AZ last week. It becamse a brick before I even got to Lake Havasu. The minute it had to recalculate a route it froze up solid. I contacted Whistler when I got back this week and they said they were aware of the problem with that model and that they had a fix but it wasn't downloadable from their website yet. The fix is supposed to solve all the problems with lockups. We'll see. The unit is touch screen and has buttons on the right side for manuvering around without touching the screen. Has a stylus well in the back like a PDA. It runs the Navteq software which is what most in car nav systems use. It stores map data on SD cards so you can load up a 2 gig SD card and it'll hold all the map info of the US and Canada. It also plays MP3s and has a picture viewer. It's completely flat unlike the Tom Toms which are shaped like a miniature version of an old TV. The GPS antenna flips out on the back. If the fix stops the locking up then it's a nice unit, otherwise don't bother. If anybody wants to know I'll follow up with the results of the upgrade.

Oh and when it did work it chose the shortest routes which is what I wanted so it's good for that. And it's also easy to read in broad daylight.

Here's a link to their page: http://www.whistlergroup.com/gps2.asp

gallery_5747_796_337716.jpg

Lowrance I500

Hey Montero, how are you mounting that. That's how I want to mount mine when I get it back. Really clean! Is the mount connected to the ends of the handle bar screws? Did you do that yourself or did you but the mount somewhere?

• Member Contributer

I had just purchased a Garmin Quest2 for my vacation in Arkansas . Worked fantastic. I would highly recommend it. The only thing you need to be careful of is that it does show some dirt roads. Not cool on the vfr.

I am very happy with my TomTom Rider. Paid $750 shipped. Mounted to the front tank bolts using RAM mount components. Wired to the ingnition circuit (Rider comes on/off automatically when the key is turned).

All of these gizmos have their pluses and minuses. The Rider is very easy to use, recalculates quickly, is waterproof and has a Bluetooth interface for its spoken commands. It is fairly easy to pick an alternate route using TomTom's built-in options (e.g. "Avoid motorways") but harder than some (Garmin, for example) to create a complex itinerary of intermediate stops. I personally think it is the right size for the VFR (after all, its only about 18" from your face).

There seems to be a lot of partisanship whenever GPS is discussed. Garmin people often say that the Rider is not 100% waterproof in that it cannot pass some test where it is submerged to a certain depth for a period of time. Others talk about their brand having a "breadcrumb" feature allowing one to exactly retrace an earlier route. And TomTom's facility for route planning on your home computer is crude compared to some other brands.

Having said all that, the acid test for me was my recent trip to Honda Hoot via most of the southern states. 5,000 miles in two weeks. Avoiding interstates most of the time. Drenching rain some of the tme. Many intermediate stops in out-of-the-way places. Changing routes fairly often. Things I wouldn't have tried without a GPS. The Rider did everything I wanted. No problems or complaints.

Archived