HJC CL-SP Helmet

Guest MegaMan

Guest MegaMan

Has anyone tried a HJC CL-SP helmet yet? I am looking to buy one but I haven't heard anything about them. We can not ride yet where I live (still snow and ice on the roads) so I can't even test one out. I currently have a 6 year old, HJC AC 10, I like the comfort (and price) of the HJC helmets, but do not like the wind noise or ventilation. The guy at the store says that both of those things have been cured through wind tunnel testing, and they are nearly as good as the $600 equivalents through Shoei and Arai, but I don't really trust the salesment at the stealership. Any info would help?

Has anyone tried a HJC CL-SP helmet yet?? I am looking to buy one but I haven't heard anything about them.? We can not ride yet where I live (still snow and ice on the roads) so I can't even test one out.? I currently have a 6 year old, HJC AC 10, I like the comfort (and price) of the HJC helmets, but do not like the wind noise or ventilation.? The guy at the store says that both of those things have been cured through wind tunnel testing, and they are nearly as good as the $600 equivalents through Shoei and Arai, but I don't really trust the salesment at the stealership.? Any info would help?

I have a HJC CL-14. I bought it for the price. Most things I read about helmets say a more expensive helmet is not necessarily safer. And there was a big difference in price between my CL-14 and the more expensives Shoei's and Arai's.

Anyway, not sure how the CL-SP compares to the CL-14, but I dont have any complaints about my HJC CL-14.

For whatever its worth: I dropped mine with the shield open and broke the part where there shield attaches to the helmet. Got replacement parts from new enough real cheap:

http://www.newenough.com/hjc_baseplate_ac11_page.htm

I guess moral of the story: 1 HJC makes good products, and 2 don't be stupid enough to put your helmet on your seat on a windy day with the face shield up.

I just purchased a CL-SP from newenough though I have not had a chance to test it on the road yet. The helmet itself is very nice and the new mechanism for attaching and removing the shield is great. :thumbsup: The vents appear to be sufficient and the overall quality seems great. I found the helmet to be very comfortable sitting in my living room for a half hour. I wish I could give you more information but until I get it out on the road this is all I got.

For 154.00 shpped to my door I find it hard to believe that I made a mistake.

Larry

I have a CL-14 and a CL-SP. I haven't had anything other than HJC, so I can't really compare other brands. Also, I have never had to test one. I really like the cl-14. It is very comfortable, and price is great. A large is just alittle too big for me. It feels slightly loose. A medium is perfect. Pretty tight at first, but it fits perfect now. I've only had the CL-SP for a few weeks and only ridden with it 2-3 times. I think it weights the same, but feels lighter. The sound level is slightly better, not an extreme difference. I purchased mine online. Since I was so happy with the medium in the CL-14, I went with that. The CL-SP doesn't fit like the CL-14. The cheek pads aren't as thick or cushy. The basic feel of the interior is more stiff too me. OUt of the box, a medium has some play on my head. It does handle the wind better though. It's a very comfortable helmet to ride in. It also has a new designed shield that is easy to remove and install. It has a lock to keep it shut. Unlike the previous models that ratchets, it has set open locations at half way and full open. Between the two, I like the CL-14 better, but that may be just because that is what I've been using for the past couple years. It feels more secure and safe. The CL-SP feels very open in the chin/cheek area.

• 3 years later...

me and the wife both have cl-sp and love it. i bought mine locally for about 130 on sale and felt like i got a great deal. i have ony had 2 hjc helmets and nothing else so i cant give a fair comparison. good venilation, little loud not too bad. love it for the money i spent

• Member Contributer

I've had a CL-SP type 0 for a year and a half and I do like it. In a nutshell...

Pros...

Good ventilation

not too heavy

matte black looks good with an asphalt vfr

Cons...

noisier than my old rf800

matte black doesn't look good with greasy finger prints

I have a Scala q2 and a quiet rider fitted to it with 0 problems. It's okay in the rain with a little bit of fogging up (don't know if that's the helmet's fault though). It comes apart pretty good for cleaning. I'll have to admit that my next helmet will be a Symax 2 or something like it. hope this helps...

Rich

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I know this thread is 3 years old now, but I'll add my 2 cents.

I had one and liked everything about it; light weight, visor changes were a snap, large face opening; almost no helmet visible in the peripheral vision, and most importantly when I got hit by a car, and landed face first on the pavement at 50mph, the helmet did exactly what it was supposed to do; saved my life. And my face.

The helmet was totaled in the process, but not a single injury to me from the neck up....

Archived