Hard Saddle Bags or Tail Bag

Rabidsnipe

• Member Contributer

After my ride this last weekend, I think that I want to invest in some hard luggage. I not only want the ability to leave them on at night and store my gear, I also don't want to deal with rain covers. I used eyehooks through the licence plate to strap on the soft bags on the trip and lost one. Plus, I had to go and put them on every morning and make sure they were attached and everything.I think I'm aware of the good brands out there; my question is which should I get first? Hard saddle bags or a hard trunk? I think I like the idea of getting the trunk first because it seems like it would be more useful while in town. Also, I think that having the trunk on there would give me something else to strap my sleeping bag and tent to. It seemed to ride forward on me a little bit which got kinda annoying. Has anyone had any expierence with just using a tailbag or trunk with a tank bag while travelling?

• Member Contributer

I'd go with the tail trunk for the same reasons that you mentioned. That way you could leave the trunk on all of the time and when you get your bags, you could remove them when you are at home or the trip does not require them.

Sorry, I'm sure it's just me, but hard tail trunks look too much like a Goldwing. Nut'n much wrecks the lines of a sport bike than a tail trunk.

I vote hard bags and strap stuff up top for long trips

Unless you are a lane splitter, I would vote bags first. It keeps the weight lower on the bike than a trunk would. I have also noticed with my trunk on the interstate, the front tire is real light and vague because of the wind and weight of the trunk making the bike want to wheelie. Two saddle bags would probably give you more room than a single trunk and in the end you may decide you don't need both.

Unless you are a lane splitter, I would vote bags first.

I'm a daily splitter; and.........there are very few things about my BMW's I miss; but, one is the ability to put City lids on the BMW hard bags. I sure wish Honda had a City lid option, the bags would be not much wider than the inner 1/2 of the bag with City lids on, then ya put on the wide lids for tour'n.

• Member Contributer

I had soft bags on two previous bikes and enjoyed the ability to strip off the extra "baggage". I added hard cases to my new VFR last summer and I think they are great. The OEM side case is a perfect match for the rest of the bike.... until you ride without them. The bare brackets are not that good to look at which is why I probably keep the cases in place. I would post an ugly photo of the bike without the cases attached - but I don't have one. Anyway... the cases are great!

I gotta vote with the lane sharers above. If you can't lane share where you live, go with the side cases. The two of them hold more than the topcase, and they do not affect your bike's handling quite as much. BUT, if you can lane share, the topcase is the only way to go.

Archived