Frank Thomas gear

Guest Kr0nus

Guest Kr0nus

I'm looking at getting some leather pants with pucks so I can put a knee down. I noticed that Frank Thomas gear is relatively cheap. Is it quality equipment?

• Member Contributer

My riding buddy wears it and my local Cycle Gear sells a snot load of it. I have checked it out for the price its not bad. I saw a test where the seams did not fair so well at high speeds but the only suit that did really well was a custom that cost $2200 so it becomes a value issue.

• Member Contributer

I have both the Jacket and Pants, and can't say it's "High Quality". The rubber tabs at the end of the sleves, used to velcro the around the wrist, tore off within six months. I had to re-glue the velcro around the knee pucks. But, I still think I got my moneys worth, and still wear them.

Price-wise, FT apparel seems to fall right at mid to lower mid price compared with other manufacturers. Pretty much where Hein Gerick used to be. I do find the styling on FTs to be behind the others. The designs don't seem to have the same sophistication as the Alpinestar or Dainese stuff. FTs almost have a cottage industry, heavy handed look to their styling and construction, in contrast. JMO

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

My other half just picked up a FT one piece suit at Cycle Gear in San Jose for $275. It was a two year old model. Personally I think the styling is OK, the leather is supple etc.

Hopefully she will never go down to have a chance to test the stitching as mentioned earlier.

Archived