Textile Pants

99yellowvfr

• Member Contributer

I'm leaning toward Textile pants, I've been looking and trying both leather and textile but found that textiles seem to be more versatile than leather.

Anybody hear or had any experience with FAMMZ gear. There are some pants on ebay item number 8043223718, they look good but I never heard of them <_<

fb

• Member Contributer
I'm leaning toward Textile pants, I've been looking and trying both leather and textile but found that textiles seem to be more versatile than leather. 

Anybody hear or had any experience with FAMMZ gear. There are some pants on ebay item number 8043223718, they look good but I never heard of them <_< 

fb

The guy gets really good feedback. Look closely at the Fammz leathers and compare them with the design of the Fieldsheer Sport and Sport Air pants. They are very similar in design except the waist band. Makes you wonder if they came from the same factory, eh?

There are a couple of things I don't like about textile pants:

- They're generally less snug-fitting than leather, which means if they have armour, it can move around in a crash as the material rotates.

- They tend to slid around on the seat, unless you have special seat fabric (i.e., custom seat) or the pants have leather (or non-slip) panels.

- They're less abrasion-resistant. I've had several crashes in my leather pants, and once a seam eventually unravelled where it had been abraded some time before that by a slide on the road, and the other times all that was required was a touch-up with shoe polish where the leather was scuffed. In the same crashes, my textile jacket suffered abrasion holes, except where it had kevlar patches (elbows and shoulders) or leather overlay (repair of previous damage).

If versatile means one pant works for good weather, rain and offers some protection at a reasonable $$-Hein Gericke overpant is an option.

If protection and being able to wear them "most" of the time is more of a consideration consider the AGV perforated leather pant(s) and carry a rain pant.

• Member Contributer

Ok, thanks for the feedback. I just spent my last three lunch hours at the local shop trying on pants, Textile is out, I'm going leather and I'm leaning toward the Joe Rocket Blaster. Leather may be hot sad.gif but it's a lot more comfortable than skin grafting. :D

fb

Did you get any road rash Enzed?

I wear an Olympia Moto Sports mesh jacket, and am thinking about getting the matching pants.

Did you get any road rash Enzed?

I wear an Olympia Moto Sports mesh jacket, and am thinking about getting the matching pants.

Nup.

I should mention that I've been down on the road a few times, but all were at speeds of less than 40 mph. It was alarming how readily the Cordura on my jacket wore through, when my leather pants and boots were only scuffed. I've been told recently that the Cordura used on my Teknic Hurricane jacket is softer than that used on most textile gear now. Where it wore through I had it overlaid with leather, so now the lower outside of the sleeves and the shoulders are leather over Cordura. Looks kewl where the shoulders have kevlar pads underneath, sewn around the pads' edges. B)

Unfortunately, my gear's just about done its dash, and I'm up for new helmet, gloves, boots, pants and jacket. They're still all intact, but the velcro fasteners, zips etc. are just about worn out. Commuting is hard on it - if I was a 'weekend only' biker it'd still be pristine. :beer:

Archived