Side Powerlet for battery charging

McCleod

• Member Contributer

I have a side mounted powerlet plug that I use for heated vest -- it works for that purpose. However, when I hook my battery charger up to it, I get a "Not properly hooked up" warning from my charger -- it will not charge. I am using a Battery Tender. I was led to believe I could charge with that socket. Any ideas why it is not working? Thanks.

I have a side mounted powerlet plug that I use for heated vest -- it works for that purpose. However, when I hook my battery charger up to it, I get a "Not properly hooked up" warning from my charger -- it will not charge. I am using a Battery Tender. I was led to believe I could charge with that socket. Any ideas why it is not working? Thanks.

You most likely have the wires backwards, pos- neg. and it won't turn on. I charge mine through my Powerlet. :blink:

• Member Contributer
You most likely have the wires backwards, pos- neg. and it won't turn on.  I charge mine through my Powerlet. :goofy:

Dealer installed, I will check on the relay -- I believe it was installed with relay -- it came that way. So, it will work for heated vest if installed incorrrectly, but may not work for charging? I apologize for my ignorance on the topic.

Dealer installed, I will check on the relay -- I believe it was installed with relay -- it came that way. So, it will work for heated vest if installed incorrrectly, but may not work for charging? I apologize for my ignorance on the topic.

That's right. Heating just flows electricity through the wires. It doesn't matter which way it flows. Battery charging requires positive to positive and neg. to neg.

If hooked to a relay, your vest won't work unless the key is on, same with trying to charge it.

• Member Contributer
That's right. Heating just flows electricity through the wires. It doesn't matter which way it flows. Battery charging requires positive to positive and neg. to neg.

If hooked to a relay, your vest won't work unless the key is on, same with trying to charge it.

Thank you, I really appreciate the help.

Archived