Ignition-controlled power supply

Guest razzanrohr

Guest razzanrohr

I just installed a hard wire unit on my bike for my XM MyFI.

This is the unit

I hooked it up directly to the battery, but because it has a small LED, it drained my bike's battery after a couple of weeks of no riding.

What is the best way to locate a power source that is only energized when the ignition is on?

Here are some more shots of the set up.

Thanks.

You will likely be able to find other sources as well but your tail light will be switched in this way. I recently added a bunch of electrical stuff and I used the taillight as the switching wire but used it to engage a relay that pulls power directly from the battery.

• Member Contributer

What are you doing not riding your bike for a couple of weeks?

I tapped into the power wire for the "bank angle sensor" for my V1 (page 5-83 in my manual). Theres a green connector under the left side of the dash, you can reach it without taking off any plastic. The middle wire (white/black) is switched battery voltage (+). The green is ground (-), but I just grounded to the frame. Very convenient spot for many farkles that don't require much current. I don't know at what point you'd want to add a relay there (heated grips would need one, for sure).

• Member Contributer

When I did my fenderectomy on my 5th gen, I got rid of the license plate light. I glued a clear piece in the bottom of the taillight lens.

I then cut the wires and plug off the license light, spliced lengthening wires to it, and now my power relay plugs right into it. The relay itself is up in the left side of the fairing and runs my heated grips. Now I can turn off the bike and not worry about switching stuff off. Also, you can take power straight off the battery, seperately fused, and not risk overloading pre-existing circuits or robbing power from other stuff.

You're going to cut that fender anyway, right?

Keith

When I did my fenderectomy on my 5th gen, I got rid of the license plate light.  I glued a clear piece in the bottom of the taillight lens.

That is SO spack, having a separate license plate light. I'm glad we don't have dumb laws like that here.

We just have other dumb laws, like head/tail-light modulators being illegal.

And the open road speed limit being 100 km/h (~61mph).

Guest razzanrohr

HA! I knew someone was going to ask that.

The license plate light is the best idea. When I bought the bike, the guy that owned it before me bobbed the fender and removed the license plate light assembly. Have never put it back on, but that leaves me with an open connector.

BRILLIANT!!!

I'll see if I can find another assembly that I can cannablize the connector from so I can keep the original intact should I get a fixit for it.

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

I tapped into the power wire for the "bank angle sensor" for my V1 (page 5-83 in my manual).

I concur - bank angle sensor is the way to go.

kaldek

The bank angle sensor is a convienient circuit to get power from, for small loads. It has a dedicated 10A fuse but isn't using hardly any of that. Even so, I wouldn't trust it over time for more than 3A or so. Good for small things like GPS units and such, but not for the bigger stuff, like heated gear. It would make an excellent trigger circuit for a battery relay setup if one didn't want to run a wire all the way to the license plate light.

Chris

Archived