Shinko Raven tires

Guest cozmanaut

You said they had 12,000+ km (more than 7,456 miles) on them. That's pretty reasonable for a sport-touring tire.

What was your impression of the Raven's - you noted the Bridgestones felt better but only that the NEW tires felt better than the OLD tires. All new tires feel better than old tires - are you able to provide any input regarding the two sets of tires when they were new ?

Thanks.

Nope - I can't give you that comparison. I got the bike used, and thus the tires were on it. My estimate on the total Kms that the tires had may have been high - or low - can't confirm - it was an estimate.

• 1 month later...
Guest speedball30

Firstly,

Shinko started making tyres for Yoko when that big quake hit and destroyed the Yoko plant. Whne the plant was re-built Yoko sold the rights to their tyres to Shinko.

I just put a rear on my bike today after picking up a nail in my Roadtec.

I have riden on Pilots, Diablos, Road techs, Battleaxs, and Sporttech and to be honest with you all, I haven't found that much of a difference in any of them. As far as saying "I'll stick with race technology" do you actually think street tyres are manufactured with the same compounds? Please.

Do not get me wrong, I'm not saying that this Shinko is going to be the same as the other top 6 tyres builders, but I'd like to have one of you guys ride the same type of bike over the same roads, one with "your brand" one with Shinko. And without you knowing which set was one which bike, figure it out without being told. I don't think it would be like comparing apples to oranges.

Sorry for the mini rant, but I am soooo damn fed up with the "I only ride Metzler, all else are shit". Thats why the top six companies can chagre 500 bucks a set.

I will keep you all updated on the Shinko situation.

The new to me '90 RC-36 will be doing two days at Mid-Ohio, (if my works shock is rebuilt in time) next weekend (April 29/30). It will, due to a variety of reasons, be wearing a set of Stinko, err, Shinko 003's.

Crazy, eh?

I'll be in the novice group, mostly due to the new mount, and getting the F3 front end and Works shock dialed in.

I will report on all things Shinko upon my return.

I figure, by the end of day 2 they will be toast. Hopefully I will avoid getting burned.

They're almost free at like $130 for the pair, so, if they stick for two days, it'll be worth it.

If not, I'll be buying tires trackside.

--jeff

'00 VFR

'90 VFR (track/street)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back, and the shinkos did not kill me.

More later...

--jeff

The new to me '90 RC-36 will be doing two days at Mid-Ohio, (if my works shock is rebuilt in time) next weekend (April 29/30). It will, due to a variety of reasons, be wearing a set of Stinko, err, Shinko 003's.

Crazy, eh?

I'll be in the novice group, mostly due to the new mount, and getting the F3 front end and Works shock dialed in.

I will report on all things Shinko upon my return.

I figure, by the end of day 2 they will be toast.  Hopefully I will avoid getting burned.

They're almost free at like $130 for the pair, so, if they stick for two days, it'll be worth it.

If not, I'll be buying tires trackside. 

--jeff

'00 VFR

'90 VFR (track/street)

• 2 months later...
Anyone ever heard or used a tire by the name Shinko? I went to the dealership today to price new tires (D208's, Pilot Roads etc) and the Parts manager was really pushing these Shinko Raven tires. Rear was $130 and the front was $80. He said if I bought the set he would take 25% off of that. Of course my inner suspicion kicked in...why would he push a less expensive tire?

Anyway he said he has several close friends that love these tires. In fact he mentioned that one of his friends rides an FJ 1300 and put nearly 7K miles on them with no issues.

What I know is they are a Korean manufactured tire but I am a little leery for 2 reasons. The price...you get what you pay for, and 2) I have never heard of this tire.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I have several months to decide on a tire choice but I thought maybe I get get the process rolling.

TIA

Tony

I can stick my $0.02 here about the Shinkos. I was attracted by the resonable price, so I bought a set. I installed them at 138,223 miles and the rear lasted (Flat spotted) until 151,795. At that time, I replaced the rear with another 009 Raven. It's at 158,711, the front is still there and looks good. Slight cupping, but not objectionable.

The tire handle as well as any others I've had on the bike. The only negative I've had is that they felt a little unstable in hard corners for the first 200 miles or so. After that....all was well.

Scott

Inglis FL

99 VFR

97 Vmax

yes they are really yokohama's as stated because stinko bought all there molds. they more or less give them away here because no one really wants to use them & the people I know who have used them said "they grip great for about 1/2 life of tyre then they stink & even worse in wet".

And as Yokohama stopper make motorcycle tires in the early 90:s, you just can expext to get tires that perform as early 90:s tires, sins I dont think Shoinko did more than change the name, well the compound can be different but dont think any stickier...

Archived