Filter - Clean your K&N, or install

• Forum CEO

Well This Tutorial is probably as simple as a tutorial as can get - certainly there are larger fish to fry but for the cautious member, this is how I do it.

Begin by removing the seat and cowl, this gives the tank room to swivel up.

knclean02.JPG

Remove the 2 tank bolts

knclean01.JPG

Prop up the tank, if you don't have a good stick you can use the handle and shock spanner in your tool kit, thread one of the bolts back in to keep the tool from slipping off, there is a small hole-in the tank that the spanner sits in.

knclean03.JPG

Remove the 7 screws, you will need a long handled phillips driver the brake lines are in the way.

knclean04.JPG

Remove the flapper hose

knclean05.JPG

Dont lose the wire clips

knclean06.JPG

It is easier if you leave the 2 screws in the top front in as long as you have them unscrewed, that way they wont fall down where you cant reach them.

knclean07.JPG

Nasty Dirty filter - I clean mine as often as I change the oil, but I noticed I had a slight drop in fuel efficiency on the trip to South Dakota, I also rode on some dirt roads, my guess was that the filter was clogged.

knclean08.JPG

Remove it and check the pleats for bug that can get stuck inside - sometimes water will not remove insects, I just use an old dull awl to pick them out

knclean09.JPG

Now what to use to clean it? K&N sells a degrease that is recommended, any de-greaser should work, just don't mix cleaning products (ammonia and clorox for example will gas you with chlorine gas) I just use Simple Green detergent in warm water and a big bucket!

knclean10.JPG

The material is a surgical gauze that can get damaged if you use bleach, use something that can cut grease but wont damage the matierial.

knclean11.JPG

K&N Customer Service!

I noticed that my filter had broken and I wondered it was possible to glue it back together, so I wrote them for suggestions.

knclean12.JPG

Dear Customer,

I will be happy to warrant the filter for you glue will not work. Please send me your address,name, and the number molded into the filter.

Thanks for writing

Fred

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2003 12:13 PM

To: tech@knfilters.com

Subject: glue

I have a K&N for my motorcycle on the back side of the filter it snapped apart a bit, not really effecting the sealing of the filter however it is the part that holds the pleated material. I wonder if there is a glue that you would suggest that could repair this filter?

The filter is actually usable it is just cracked on the backside but still seals up, K&N says they will replace it for me YEA!

Well I put this one back in after letting it air dry, I sprayed some filter oil on it to re treat it, spray side to side not in circles.

knclean13.JPG

If you don't treat the filter with oil it will not be effective, the oil is what traps dust.

knclean15.JPG

I also drilled a new hole for my air temp sensor, the OEM spot is right next to the radiator and it was reading too high.

knclean16.JPG</font>

• Like 1