Anyone using MyFi XM Radio?

Guest FifeDog

Guest FifeDog

I really want to have "unlimited" music from XM while riding, and have been looking at the MyFi vs. Roady 2. I currently use my Sony MD with Etymotic ER-6 headphones. I like the portability of the MyFi, but I have heard that Delphi hasn't really worked out all the issues with the "internal" antenna. Any thoughts?

Hey Fife

I use XM My-FI and it works great. The only downside is that their is no mount for the device that I know of. I usually put it in my tank bag or in my jacket pocket.

RJ

• Member Contributer

I typically don't like gadgets on the bike but, recently I have been looking at the Roady2 Portable option. It is similar to the MyFi in that everything is self contained.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-d4912z4YRcj/c...50&I=700SA10109

If I go this route I will probably have a J&M headset mounted in my helmet as well.

http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=08

h040SA10109-f_dmt-1.jpeg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Hey Fife

I use XM My-FI and it works great.  The only downside is that their is no mount for the device that I know of.  I usually put it in my tank bag or in my jacket pocket.

RJ

Ram-Mount show a picture of a mount but I couldn't find a price for it. I keep mine in my pocket too, but I'd like to have better access to it

• Member Contributer

Just make sure it is legal in your area.

In some states headphones are illegal while riding/driving. Someone I know recently got nabbed for speeding and the cop tacked on another offense for listenting to an ipod with earbud headphones in his helmet. Lots of extra $$ + some extra insurance points.

• 2 months later...
Guest razzanrohr

This is what I am planning on using for a mount for my MyFi:

http://www.ram-mount.com/products/aquabox23.htm

ramb149zaq2iu1big.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

And RAM doesn't sell direct. They have dealers. I recommend http://www.custommounts.com/. Good prices and make sure you order the unpackaged version where ever possible as it is less expensive and who needs a lot stuff to throw away.

The problem I am running into now is: Since the auto mount antenna will not connect directly to the MyFi unit, will the "personal" antenna be sufficient at speed?

Also, any ideas on how to mount the personal antenna on the bike?

• Member Contributer

MyFi antenna options. Check online...I believe I saw an adapter where you could use the car antenna directly into the MyFi

I've used my myfi inside my tank bag as well

gallery_2503_914_80608.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

DSC00224.JPG

With it in the bag i can even change the channel

gallery_2503_914_24271.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

DSC00232.JPG

gallery_2503_914_83847.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

DSC00231.JPG

Its wired to a powermate plug then to the myfi cigarette lighter adapter, the headphone has a 6' extension that winds around the inside of the bag and comes out

gallery_2503_914_51867.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

DSC00233.JPG

Here, this bag was made with the hole and a rubber grommet

gallery_2503_914_61409.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

DSC00230.JPG

The antenna is the personal one it is just clipped on to the corner of the fairing (i popped off once when i hit a pothole or bump but it just dangled until i reached over and clipped it back on to the fairing) othe than that i've had no trouble with it

gallery_2503_914_6227.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

DSC00226.JPG

I bought a Roady2 and also looking at mounting options. The Roady Mount that is on cycle gadgets looks great, but since I have heli bars, it doesn't look like there is enough clearance to mount it to the master cover. Anyone tried this set up? I heard it will work with stock bars, but not sure with heli bars.

RoadyHolder.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Another option I have is to mount it with ram mounts. I have a Ram base where the top of the tank mounts. If I go this way, would the short or standard arm be best? The lower the better, but another consideration is that my powerlet is mounted in the stem and if I go to low, I may have a conflict wtih the powerlet plug. I was planning on using a straight powerlet to cigar plug adapter. Is there a better option?

The xm power plug converts from 12v to 6v so direct wiring wouldn't be as simple. I'd love to loose the bulk of the xm power plug though. Is there a powerlet plug that does this convertion? Seems silly not to use the powerlet plug when it is right there.

Guest razzanrohr
MyFi antenna options.  Check online...I believe I saw an adapter where you could use the car antenna directly into the MyFi

vt600c, I have been searching for just such an adapter, but to no avail. Any assistance would greatly appreciated.

gallery_2503_914_61409.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

DSC00230.JPG

The antenna is the personal one it is just clipped on to the corner of the fairing (i popped off once when i hit a pothole or bump but it just dangled until i reached over and clipped it back on to the fairing) othe than that i've had no trouble with it

chrisford, That looks like a good setup. I was told that the personal antenna doesn't work at speed, by the guy at Best Buy. But the more I read the more I am convinced he was a seasonal worker. Can you comment?

Also, I am in the midst of searching for a mirror mounted antenna pole that the antenna could be attached to. Clipped to your windscreen, is the antenna high enough?

gallery_4518_465_1286489.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Solo, XM Radio, Accessory Workshop Splitter and Tech Mounts I used Tech Mounts from cyclegadgets.com to mount my XM Radio and Solo Radar Detector. I tempoarily stuck the slpitter from Accessory Workshop atop the brake fluid resevior... don't know where to put it yet. I was using a splitter cable from Radio Shack... this one works much better. I had trouble hearing the detector over the music... not now!

gbryant, are you confident using the MyFi car mount adapter? I have mine installed in my truck and it does not bolt securely. It simply is attached with a tab on the back of the cradle.

vt600c, I have been searching for just such an adapter, but to no avail. Any assistance would greatly appreciated.

chrisford, That looks like a good setup. I was told that the personal antenna doesn't work at speed, by the guy at Best Buy. But the more I read the more I am convinced he was a seasonal worker. Can you comment?

I've had nothing but success with the clip on antenna. I even tried it suction cupped to me helmet :goofy: , but the cup wouldn't stay on. The clip on antenna works all the way up to 130+ mph, thats as fast as i've gone (no officer it didn't hear your siren) reception only drops out in the same places as the xm in my car (in tunnels & on the san francisco bay bridge east bound :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

Also, I am in the midst of searching for a mirror mounted antenna pole that the antenna could be attached to. Clipped to your windscreen, is the antenna high enough?

gbryant, are you confident using the MyFi car mount adapter? I have mine installed in my truck and it does not bolt securely. It simply is attached with a tab on the back of the cradle.

I glued it...

• 1 month later...

Here is an adapter that will let you connect a car-style antenna (including those with shortened cables) directly to an MyFi/XM2Go radio. It is tiny and seems like it would be a lot better suited to bike use than some of the pigtail antenna adapters I've seen.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer
I purchased a new XM radio for my bike...

http://www.myradiostore.us/xm-radio-receiv...-commander.html

I took pics, but I can't get the upload feature in 'My Gallery' to work.

Got Pics

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gbryant226@s...m/ph//my_photos

Looks like good gear but, why, why would you go with XM????

Sirius is 100X better than XM and now that they have Howard, it kicks ass.

XM jumped the shark when it got Oprah instead of Howard.

Just my two cents.

Don't make the same mistake, go with Sirius, unless you are into Oprah.

Archived