Clutch Pack

HispanicSlammer

• Forum CEO

gallery_491_760_34361.jpg

Last week I rode to New Mexico and stayed with my sister in Santa Fe ( read the Sandia Classic Post) Anyway she had a big rock in her driveway and as I was pushing my bike into her back yard for safe keeping I hit the clutch cover and it must have cracked the cover. I noticed it leaking oil so I decided to remove it for inspection.

November 2003 I lowsided on a patch of ice and slid on the clutch cover for about 40 feet, so I am sure the damage was done then and the rock just made it worse.

gallery_491_760_61116.jpg

Cracked Clutch Cover Started this whole mess!!

Anyway I ordered a new one and hopefully I will get this bike back up and running within a week!!

I have had a clutch pack for over a year cause I thought it would need it soon. So I decided I should replace it while I have the cover off.

The manual tells you to remove the cam pulse cord from the plug under the airbox, thats a total pain in the butt to remove for a job like this so I left it on and just babied the cord.

gallery_491_760_61893.jpg

Clutch Cover bolts removed

I removed several bolts and wrapped them in some masking tape, they are all the same size.

gallery_491_760_56854.jpg

Bolts wrapped in masking tape

WHAT IS INSIDE

gallery_491_760_34361.jpg

Clutch Assembly Crankshaft, Starter, two reduction gears, Clutch basket.

You have to soak the new friction plates in oil before assembly. Now is the time to also change your oil too!!

gallery_491_760_22792.jpg

Soak New Friction Plates Soak in motor oil before assembling.

gallery_491_760_33612.jpg

New Parts One Friction Plate A (smaller to fit into spring seat), 8 friction plates, 8 clutch plates, one gasket, one replacement pressure plate spring (not needed).

gallery_491_760_57787.jpg

Clutch Plate over Friction Plate Clutch Plate engages the inner basket, Friction Plates engage the outter basket

HOW THE CLUTCH WORKS

Its pretty simple really there is an inner and an outter basket, the outter basket is connected to the crank by some gears, and the inner basket spins with the transmission. They are independant of each other, then there are friction plates that have teeth that engage the outter basket, and metal clutch plates that engage the inner basket, you throw in 9 of each of them together staggered, and push them together with a moving pressure plate. The pressure plate is spring loaded by 5 springs.

So When you pull on the clutch lever a piston pushes on a rod on the other side and goes through the engine and pushes on the lifter piece, which lifts the bearing which lifts the pressure plate and it takes the pressure off the 18 plates so the two baskets can spin free of each other. Let it out and the springs push the friction plates and the clutch plates together and then you have power to the rear wheel!!

:media:

See The video

gallery_491_760_18293.jpg

Pressure Plate Removed

Inspect the lifter bearing for wear.

gallery_491_760_20135.jpg

Pressure Plate Removed 9 total friction plates, 8 clutch plates, 1 friction spring, 1 spring seat.

gallery_491_760_3673.jpg

Inspect the Clutch Plates Look for discoloration, place on a flat plane, glass or whatever, and use a feeler gauge to measure any warpage. 0.33 mm or 0.012 in is the service limit. I just replaced mine.

gallery_491_760_70038.jpg

Inspect The Outter Basket Teeth Marred but not damaged, check for broken pieces or deep impressions where the friction plates meet.

gallery_491_760_40313.jpg

Inspect the Inner Basket Teeth Mine were slightly marred but not damaged

If the teeth are damaged you will need to replace the basket. I did not remove the basket or inspect the needle bearings holding the baskets, there is a lock washer for that and it must be replaced with a new one when removed. The oil pump has a chain drive on the assembly too you should inspect. I did not get that involved I just replaced the pack.

Actually my old friction plates were still in spec but one metal clutch plate was pretty blued. I did not measure it for warpage but replaced them all anyway.

gallery_491_760_38668.jpg

Measure the Springs 1999-98 vfr 42.6 mm, 99-01 vfr 43.7mm is the service limit.

The spring bolts are only 9 ft/lbs so dont crank on them too hard!

remove the old gasket matierial from the cover and engine case and replace the gasket. The torque for the cover bolts is 9 ft/lbs

Now how do I keep from going crazy as I wait for a new clutch cover??