Correct battery for 2010 VFR1200F ???

Hi everyone, I am hoping someone can help me with a problem I have finding a new battery for my 2010 VFR1200F.  I have owned the bike only for two years, now I need to replace the battery.  I no longer have the previous battery so can't use it for reference.  The Honda microfiche shows the correct battery is a Yuasa YTZ14S (part #31500-MCR-D03AH).  However, this battery has a polarity of (+/-)   (positive terminal on the left side), while I need a (-/+).

The local O'Reilly Auto Parts store could not find a battery in the correct size and polarity.  I stopped at the local Honda dealer today and they just gave me the runaround - they did some research and basically told me the correct sized battery with a (-/+) polarity doesn't exist.  I even showed them the picture in my owner's manual of the correct polarity.  So I don't know what else to do at this point.  

Can anyone give me some guidance?  Thanks much.

Eric

• Member Contributer

Hi Eric.

I don't have the 1200 but I know a YTZ14S is correct for that bike. See attached from the Service Manual and Owners Book.

The Service and Owners Manual show the Positive to the Left if you were to stand the battery upright and view it from the front.

The battery lies on it's Back, Face Up, with terminals towards the fuse box. The standard YTZ14S is the correct terminal polarity.

You definitely Don't want Negative on the Left when viewed Front On!

Screenshot_20240508_151602_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

Screenshot_20240508_170131_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

Screenshot_20240508_151718_Chrome.jpg

Grum,

Thank you for the information provided, it is much appreciated!  I noticed also that the Yuasa website also shows the YTZ14S as the correct battery for the VFR1200F, so between this, the Honda microfiche/part number, and your information provided, it must be correct...   I was thinking that this battery dropped into the battery box right-side up (bottom first) but if it lays on its back, then I see how the terminals will line up.

Thanks again, sir!

Eric

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, TNC said:

Grum,

Thank you for the information provided, it is much appreciated!  I noticed also that the Yuasa website also shows the YTZ14S as the correct battery for the VFR1200F, so between this, the Honda microfiche/part number, and your information provided, it must be correct...   I was thinking that this battery dropped into the battery box right-side up (bottom first) but if it lays on its back, then I see how the terminals will line up.

Thanks again, sir!

Eric

No probs Eric. I was a little confused myself until realizing the 1200 has the battery face up.