1986 VFR700 Fuel Tank Issues

Hi guys,  I recently started another project bike that I pulled out from behind a barn in Maine a few weeks ago.  The bike had been lying on its side for more than 10 years.  The tank is toast.  had at least a half a tank of gas in it when it was stored and that dissolved into brown junk.  The tank has holes in it all around and would take a major advanced welder to be able to fix it.  Just wondering if anyone out there has a tank for a 86-88 they want to sell or if anyone knows if there is an aftermarket tank available?  I think I saw a post about a retired guy in CA who makes them from scratch?

thanks for the assistance

vfr2.jpg

vfr1.jpg

Hey guys, secondly what would you think of a CBR600F2 tank on the VFR700?  dimensions are really close.  Just wondering your opinions?

• Member Contributer

The rear of the tank that has to fit inside of the rails of the subframe will likely be an issue on a CBR tank. 

There are even some very anomalous VFR tanks that are slightly wider in that area and had a slightly different subframe to accommodate.  Joe at v4 Dreams first documented it and I also had a tank with a parts bike that was like it.  It was very strange and would not fit on any of my bikes.  Unfortunately the subframe got tossed before I took possession of the bike. 

• Member Contributer

There are tanks out there.  Will it be really pretty AND really cheap?  No.  But you have A LOT of work to do before you are even close to needing a real tank to ride down the road.  You can finish everything and run it on a hanging aux tank while you look.

This is a classic cart-before-the-horse scenario.

• Like 1