RC36 keeps blowing main fuse when attempting to start

JDMBird

Hey all, I've got a 1994 VFR that during a short day trip a few years back, suddenly died. I had already purchased a VFRNess and new regulator, so I went ahead and installed them. I found that the Main fuse had blown as well. I replaced the main fuse, and every time that I would go to try to start the bike, it would blow again. I swapped back to the original regulator, and there was no change. I let it sit for another year, and was able to get the starter to turn over for about 10 seconds this time, before again blowing the main fuse. I went through all of the wiring on the vfrness and ensured that all connections were good, however I am now at a loss as to what could be causing this fuse to blow. 99% of the time, it will blow at the press of the starter button. I should also note that the battery has been changed out for a fresh one as well.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, JDMBird said:

Hey all, I've got a 1994 VFR that during a short day trip a few years back, suddenly died. I had already purchased a VFRNess and new regulator, so I went ahead and installed them. I found that the Main fuse had blown as well. I replaced the main fuse, and every time that I would go to try to start the bike, it would blow again. I swapped back to the original regulator, and there was no change. I let it sit for another year, and was able to get the starter to turn over for about 10 seconds this time, before again blowing the main fuse. I went through all of the wiring on the vfrness and ensured that all connections were good, however I am now at a loss as to what could be causing this fuse to blow. 99% of the time, it will blow at the press of the starter button. I should also note that the battery has been changed out for a fresh one as well.

Just to be clear....

1 - Was a blown Main Fuse 30amp in the Starter Relay the cause of the bike dying on your short day trip? OR has the fuse issue Only happened since the wiring change?

2 - And with the R/R unplugged. It still blows the fuse Only when pressing the Starter button?

3 - Your are absolutely sure, this fuse Only blows when pressing the Starter button, and Not just with turning the Ignition Switch to On?

4 - Assume the replacement fuse is a 30amp Fuse? Sorry, but need to be sure!

5 - Do you have photos or wiring diagram of the changes you've made?

My gut feeling at this stage is there's something strange going on within the Starter Relay when being energised. Independent checks on the Relay can be run after hearing back regards questions above.