VFR loss of power, now will not run

Hi all

I’m after bit of advice please on where to start. I recently brought my VFR, high mileage (163500kms). When I got it I serviced it, new air & oil filter plus oil and new spark plugs. Idle was low so I adjusted that up, aside from running a little lumpy under 3k revs it has been running well until today. 

On the way home from work today I accelerated away from a set of lights pretty quick, tacho hit about 8k and the bike just lost power, didn’t stall but lost even with the throttle nearly fully open. I nursed it home but was really lumpy,  erractic but low idle etc. once home it sat and idled but didn’t stall. Ive let the bike sit for 3ish hours and now it struggles to start, if it does it won’t idle, stinks of fuel and is popping and misfiring if I try to hold an idle on the throttle. 

I haven’t pulled it apart yet, I’m handy so happy to get my hands dirty, I’m just not sure on the best place to start. Fuel in it is fresh so not stale fuel. 

Any help greatly appreciated. 

• Member Contributer
42 minutes ago, Bignoz123 said:

. I nursed it home but was really lumpy,  erractic but low idle etc. once home it sat and idled but didn’t stall. Ive let the bike sit for 3ish hours and now it struggles to start, if it does it won’t idle, stinks of fuel and is popping and misfiring if I try to hold an idle on the throttle. 

Well if it stinks of fuel plus your running symptoms, then the first and easy thing to check is the FPR for a ruptured diaphragm. Dumps excessive raw fuel into 3 and 4 via vacuum hoses.

Remove the FPR vac hose, see if fuel is dripping from the FPR or the vac hose wet with fuel = ruptured diaphragm. 

• Member Contributer
22 minutes ago, Karimat said:

Don’t worry about your studies! After all, nowadays there are tons of all sorts of services that simplify our lives.

From e-books to artificial intelligence.

But when it comes to writing articles, essays or the like, I trust only case study that write my dissertation -  https://essayservice.com/case-study-writing-service !

Convenient, fast and high quality! All words are said about this service!

Checked - I advise you!

Since you post here how about paying for the privilege 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. Only just getting back to this as life has been busy. They weren’t expensive so I order a FPR from Honda. I’ve pulled the airbox and have taken the vacuum hose off under the fpr. Bone dry and no fuel, does still smell a bit though. It has been sitting now for nearly a month so don’t know if it would have dried up. 

also when pulling apart I have this vacuum line in the pic that appears. Any ideas? Is it worth changing the FPR anyway? 

many thanks in advance 

IMG_1458.jpeg

Well I’ve got the part so I just changed the FPR anyway, the one on there looked as dirty as everything else so it’s been on a while. I’ve started it up and it’s running again. No problem starting it. Idle seems a little lower than it was. It’s revs fine when you tweak the throttle, I haven’t had time to take it for a ride yet. Still smells like it’s running a little rich but I may just be being paranoid. 

Will report back once Ive ridden it. Thanks again for help

cheers