Is 65000miles,(100000ks) on 2006 model,going to cost me money?6th gen

MADMARTY

Hi guys,I have an opportunity to buy a. sweet looking gal,2006 sixth gen sweetheart seen below,but shes about to clock over the 100,000ks mark.

Is she going to start costing me $$ as things wear out? What wears out,and roughly when?? Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Bikeless at the moment,last ride was this CBR600F4 pictured.

Cheers guys. Oh,Im in Australia,hot Qld climate.

Screenshot_2023-11-21-19-47-13-84.png

IMG_20231119_162314.jpg

Welcome to the forum! 🙂

I sold my 6th gen. with 101,000 miles (162,000 km) and it was still in great mechanical condition, and still in good cosmetic condition.  It needed some long-term maintenance items (replace bearings) and was due for routine maintenance (flush and replace all fluids), and a few other minor maintenance items, but I trust that bike would have just kept running with little worry over major failures for many more years.

If you can buy the parts and do the work yourself, an aging VFR will not cost you an arm and a leg.  At 100k kms/65k miles, I would expect the chain and sprockets have been replaced a few times, as well as the brake pads.  When were those last done?  I would ask if the thermostat has been replaced, and if so when.  You would need to check when the bike was last fully serviced - fluids, spark plugs, etc., plus see if there are any outstanding warranty items - but even all these things shouldn't break the bank.

And the good news is most VFR owners take pretty good care of their motorcycles.  That's no guarantee, but these are quite durable bikes.  I only sold mine because I was ready for something different.  There have been a few times when I wished I had kept my VFR!

• Member Contributer

What service history do you have? Valve services every 16k miles? As TimC says, bearings? Any consumables depending on when it was last serviced.