VTEC Brake misery...

Hi everyone!

I am in a lost situation and need some advice to cure my disease...

Bike: 2003 VFR800 - Non ABS
Symptom: brake pedal only firms up after a few pushes and also medium brake drag in front left middle piston.

I bought the bike (my first "big" bike) in last September. Since I had little knowledge I just checked some basic things when buying. Of course the dude who selled the bike said everything is fine and serviced! I realised after a few days, that my fron brake is dragging. When trying to roll the front wheel by hand it only moved 1/8 of a turn. I flushed all the fluid and saw that the used fluid looked like coffee... New fluid in, symptom the same... I took the bike to a local repair guy who said he knows combined brakes and such... he gave the bike back saying "i changed the fluid, the rear brake only firms up after a few pushes, but it looks okay"... thanks for nothing bro.

As time passed I bought new piston seals, took apart all calipers, washed them, put them back together also a used upper master cylinder, issue remained. Then I changed the PCV valve near the battery, issue remained.

Then a few weeks ago I had to do an emergency brake from 90 km/h, bike stopped just fine, but I noticed that the drag became much worse, to the point, that it was making constant noise while riding...

I had enough of this... Went back home with 30 km/h, ordered a complete set of braided steel lines thinking the old lines probably can't handle the job anymore. I also bought a vacuum bleeder hand pump to make bleeding a one man process. I just came back from my test ride and still front wheel would barely turn...

What am I missing? Could it be that I simply suck so bad at bleeding that it is the main issue? Or is it something with the secondary cylinder at the caliper? Additional question: Can you bleed solo with a vacuum pump, or do you still need someone for the pedal -> secondary -> PCV step?

• Member Contributer

If you unbolt each caliper, one at a time, do each of the pistons move freely with your fingers and are they clean? (Don't push too much fluid up to the master or push the other pistons out when pushing one at a time in.)

Did you warp a disc/rotor?

Archived