Electrical problem, FI light and HISS light on

Hello,

I have an issue with the electrics on my 2010 VFR800 (ABS) where the bike will no longer start. It started one evening leaving a friends place (there had been a bit of rain whilst there), the bike started normally and warmed a little as I got kitted up, but when I went to move the bike (going from hard lock right to hard lock left) the engine cut out. Turning the bike off and on again got it restarted and away I went. Part way down the road the engine cut out and restarted itself and it wasn't until I had to stop at a set of traffic lights that it cut out and wouldn't restart. It was at this point that a realised that the FI light was on (permanently, not blinking codes) as was the HISS light. By turning the handle bars from side to side the HISS would go out and the primer pump would engage, but soon the engine would die and the HISS would engage.

Having done a little bit of poking around the FI and HISS lights now always come on when I turn the key on, with no primer pump. The starter does turn over when the button is pressed. I have checked all the fuses and most connectors with everything appearing to be fine. Whilst hunting through some of the forums for similar issues, someone suggested checking brown wire on the 4-pin OBD for ground, which is showing some electrical resistance, but I'm unable to trace exactly where it goes as the loom quickly runs into the larger harness.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Well, well, well, with  bit of poking around, it turns out that the yellow/red wire has snapped at the body of the Transponder Receiver. So now all I need to do is find a replacement.

Thank you ever so much! I'll update when it's done.

• 2 weeks later...

Replacement has been sourced and fitted, and the bike now turns on as expected. I haven't had time to take it out for a spin, but I don't foresee any issues springing up.

Thank you for your assistance, sometimes just an extra set of eyes (albeit virtual) is all that is needed to help resolve an issue.

Archived