8th gen speed indication fault and ABS not working.

Theunis

Hi everyone, can somebody please help me out I've rebuild a 8th gen VFR800F I had to import a rear abs speed sensor and speedo cluster. After battling to get that speed indication not sorted out I emailed the supplier in US telling him that the sensor is faulty(tested) telling him I dont get speed. He tells me I'm wrong that's only for ABS. Honda technicians and the manual tells me otherwise. Is the somebody who can confirm where the speed indication come from. The older and non-abs bikes have a speed sensor on the from drive pulley. That's all that I know. 

• Member Contributer

As mentioned in your other post. Speed is off the ABS sensor from the rear wheel. Nothing like a 6gen.

If your ABS is not working is the ABS light flashing a fault code or fully on when riding?

I actually did the fault finding procedure the manual gives. And it did come out that it looks like the speed sensor is faulty. But I still can't see the ABS and Traction control indications. 

• Member Contributer
On 4/17/2023 at 5:58 AM, Theunis said:

I actually did the fault finding procedure the manual gives. And it did come out that it looks like the speed sensor is faulty. But I still can't see the ABS and Traction control indications. 

If you've purchased  a USA AC Standard version panel, then it might not have the Traction Or ABS lights!

Have you confirmed both ABS fuses are ok?

At the power On test. If you don't see the ABS or Traction lights come on for a couple of seconds then that might explain the instrument panel difference.

According to Partzilla.com.The USA VFR800F AC Standard panel part No is 37100-MJM-305

The Deluxe is a 37100-MJM-306

(This is for 2014/2015 which is all that is listed on their site.)

• Member Contributer

I'm sure your problem is all to do with the incorrect Instrument Panel for your bike, and most likely not a faulty Speed Sensor!

The speed signal is processed differently on a USA Standard model as there is no ABS modulator, the rear speed sensor is wired directly into the instrument panel then an output from the panel feeds the ECM. The Deluxe version is very different to this.

See attached wiring of the two different types.

ABS Version.

Deluxe.JPG

Non ABS Version.

Standard.JPG

• 5 months later...

hello, I have the same problem I'm rebuilding a 2015 vfr800f with ABS and traction I ordered an odometer from eBay NON-ABS vfr800f everything working except for the speed meter and there is no traction light or ABS light when I start the bike after driving a few mile check engine light is flashing

please help I do not have the old odometer part number what should i change ?

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, saood said:

hello, I have the same problem I'm rebuilding a 2015 vfr800f with ABS and traction I ordered an odometer from eBay NON-ABS vfr800f everything working except for the speed meter and there is no traction light or ABS light when I start the bike after driving a few mile check engine light is flashing

please help I do not have the old odometer part number what should i change ?

The answer is above!

You need to fit the correct Instrument Panel Part No. 37100-MJM-306.

• Like 1

thanks, a local dealer in Dubai gave me this part number 37100-MJM-D11 bike is important from Australia It is a 2015 model with abs and traction, vin number JH2RC79U2EK000355 which one I order 37100-MJM-306, or 37100-MJM-D11 ?

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, saood said:

thanks, a local dealer in Dubai gave me this part number 37100-MJM-D11 bike is important from Australia It is a 2015 model with abs and traction, vin number JH2RC79U2EK000355 which one I order 37100-MJM-306, or 37100-MJM-D11 ?

Interesting Partzilla (Honda Parts website), are specifying the -306 as a replacement for the ABS model.

However, in 2016 my Instrument Panel was replaced under Warranty due to condensation forming under the faceplate. I have found the documents for the replacement panel and the Part Number fitted was a 37100-MJM-D11. So definitely go with that one.

Note - All Australian 8gens have ABS and Traction control.

• Like 1