Greetings from Ireland

toreckman

3 hours ago, Bren said:

Grand really, I'm near the mountains so it's great for hiking and riding.

It's a bit stricter than home, they do love regulations and bureaucracy. I got fined for leaving the "scene of an accident". A deer ran out of a field at full speed and hit my car in the side, I was supposed to ring the police so they could tell the hunter who owns that area. I didn't know this and when I went to get a police report for the insurance they told me I would be fined. €250 later....

Thats unfortunate about the deer incident, I wouldn't have thought to hang around either.

3 hours ago, vfrgiving said:

5th gen fairings are ABS.  The best adhesive to use is actually ABS pipe primer and ABS cement.  This isn't a glue, but will chemically solvent weld the material back together. 

GoldwingDocs has a great how-to

Thanks for this info, it's very useful.  I didn't know there was adhesives that properly bond the fairings.

I have to take them off soon, so I will see all the spots that need work.

4 hours ago, toreckman said:

Thanks for this info, it's very useful.  I didn't know there was adhesives that properly bond the fairings.

I have to take them off soon, so I will see all the spots that need work.

Reinforcing with a backing plate really isn't needed if you're just trying to close up some small cracks and no plastic is missing.  I've used the ABS cement just on the leading edges of cracks and they've been holding fine.  Spread cracks open a bit and apply some cement to both surfaces with an o-ring pick or even a toothpick.  Squeeze together and hold for a few minutes, just wipe off any excess cement that pushes out quickly before it cures.

17 hours ago, vfrgiving said:

Reinforcing with a backing plate really isn't needed if you're just trying to close up some small cracks and no plastic is missing.  I've used the ABS cement just on the leading edges of cracks and they've been holding fine.  Spread cracks open a bit and apply some cement to both surfaces with an o-ring pick or even a toothpick.  Squeeze together and hold for a few minutes, just wipe off any excess cement that pushes out quickly before it cures.

I will give the cement a try 1st then, it sounds quite easy.

• Member Contributer

11 hours ago, Thumbs said:

Thanks. I will check it out

Archived