[Q] Removing Tumblers In Oem Panniers

crakerjac

So a couple weeks ago I picked up a used set of OEM panniers from the classifieds section on this forum. The Panniers were already keyed to another bike. Does anybody have some sort of instructions on either how to key the OEM panniers initially or (even better) how to remove the tumbers?

The tumblers appear to be the same size as the tumber in my GIVI top case, but since I'm stumped on how to remove the tumbers on the panniers, I'm probably wrong. But if I can get the tumblers out, and a set of GIVI tumbers won't work I will just have the panniers rekeyed to my bike.

Also, the panniers did not come with the rubber spacers/steps that attach to the bike on the passenger rearset. If anyone knows where to get these stateside I'd greatly appreciate it. Worst case scenario, I just pick them up from David Silver Spares... but the exchange rate sucks and so does international shipping.

With new cases the cylinders come in a plastic bag with several sets of key registers. You insert the key with different sets of registers in place until none project beyond the barrel when the key is inserted. The assembly is then inserted into the tube where two small lugs at the bottom of the cylinder snap into place in the bottom of the tube. There must obviously be a procedure to release the cylinder but it will either require removing the cover inside the case and looking for a small hole that a pin can be inserted to release the lugs, or a special tool inserted in the actual key hole to operate at the very bottom of the cylinder. Most likely the former.

Once the lock cylinder is removed you will need the kit containing the registers, there's 3 or 4 different sizes and a few per pack. Where you can get these seprate pieces I do not know, obviously the dealer or DSS would be a first choice.

• Member Contributer

I just re-keyed mine... They come un-keyed from the factory. In order to put the tumblers in. The instructions use the key and slide them down straight and then turn to the right and they lock, so I believe if you just use a key and put it all the way in and turn to the left until it un-clips then pull it straight out that should work... I havn't done this so I'm not sure. I will scan the instructions and post them up later. Hope that helps.

• Member Contributer
You can not release the lock cylinder by doing anything with the key. You will have to expose the base of the cylinder tube to have any chance.

How do you know? Have you tried this?

You can not release the lock cylinder by doing anything with the key. You will have to expose the base of the cylinder tube to have any chance.

How do you know? Have you tried this?

Because the cylinder is retained by a key register that is not contacted by the key itself, so nothing you do with the key will remove the cylinder. No lock would ever allow the cylinder to be removed with the key no matter the procedure. You have to expose the bottom of the cylinder to see if there's a hole to stick something into to release this register or a special cylinder release key that will operate it through the key hole.

Well I got the whole tumbler assembly out of the panniers, but I'm stuck on how to remove the tumblers from the assembly. As previously mentioned, you cannot remove the tumbler with the key. However, I'm also not seeing a way to remove the tumbler from the outer shell that holds the pins in place. I might try and bring the assembly into a locksmith and see if they know how to re key it, but I'm stumped.

IMG_20121223_162442.jpg

IMG_20121223_162455.jpg

IMG_20121223_162515.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

• Member Contributer

I'm looking at the insructions right now, it looks like the very last tumbler is a stopper tumbler, that's the one that locks them all in place. I would suggest that, if you don't have any other tumblers to change out, then you might as well take it to a locksmith.

Do you have the old key for the bags? If so, then insert that key into the tumbler and try to remove the stopper tumbler. If you can remove the pins, then insert your key and see what the pins look like, they should all be even when correct, if not then you will need to change them out for the right ones. There are three different size pins that came in the kit.

Well I got the whole tumbler assembly out of the panniers, but I'm stuck on how to remove the tumblers from the assembly. As previously mentioned, you cannot remove the tumbler with the key. However, I'm also not seeing a way to remove the tumbler from the outer shell that holds the pins in place. I might try and bring the assembly into a locksmith and see if they know how to re key it, but I'm stumped.

Unless you have the selection of key registers there would be little you could do once you got it out. A locksmith may well have these style of registers and will have you fixed up in short order.

Update:

I just got a call from my (not so local) locksmith and they just finished re-keying the tumblers. They were able to rearange the pins to work with my key. Nobody probably cares, but I had to tell somebody...

Now I just need to find the rubber things that attach to the passenger rearsets and I'm all set.

Update:

I just got a call from my (not so local) locksmith and they just finished re-keying the tumblers. They were able to rearange the pins to work with my key. Nobody probably cares, but I had to tell somebody...

Now I just need to find the rubber things that attach to the passenger rearsets and I'm all set.

Glad you got that worked out, well worth the time spent.

As for the rubber things, can't be of much help other than to suggest the dealer or DavidSilver Spares. They should come with a small cap screw to hold them in place.

• 2 years later...
  • Member Contributer

Thread resurrect - great info for anyone (like me) who just bought used OEM panniers keyed to another bike. Just waiting on delivery, and looking forward to being able to carry more stuff!

-Dan

• Member Contributer

Ugh. In that pic, it's the "stopper tumbler" (1) that needs to be depressed through a space behind the lock sleeve (most sleeves have a slot in the side but not Honda's) in order to get the cylinder out for re-keying or tumbler service. Not sure about everyone else's panniers but to get at the back of the lock sleeve on the 8th gen panniers requires disassembling much of the handle/lever assembly inside the case.

I just bought a new set of bags, and keyed them for my key. the last tumbler is the one that holds it in. if you can get something strong, thin to reach back into the lock, pull down on it, it will allow the key part as a whole to come out. you can hammer a nail flat, or grind a hacksaw blade to reach in and 'pick' it out.

most any locksmith, can take it apart for you, rekey it,

the stock bags come with almost 2 sets of tumlbers.

and springs, assuming one would loose them as they are small, easy to drop.

hope this helps.

Archived