Anyone Install Helibars On Their 5Th Gen ?

TX _VFR

I am getting ready to install my Helibars soon and would appreciate any tips / suggestions from those of you who did this install. I have ordered new bar end weight/dampers to avoid the PITA of removing the old ones from the stock bars.

My biggest question is:

Is it really necessary to remove the triple clamp to reroute the throttle side cables ?

TIA

• Member Contributer

When I did mine I did not have to reroute the throttle cables just put them on .Some may have to change them from their position against the outside of the fork to inside the fork (left side ) and to do that you can take them out of the throttle assembly on the handlebar and feed them through .

I did my 1998 a couple years back. The rear hose tabs tabs on the brake and clutch reservoirs need to be cut off. These are the tabs that hold the hose in a certain position. You'll need to slightly twist both the brake and clutch lines forward to allow proper clearance. I followed Helibars' provided instructions and it went well for me. Took me about 4 hours, because I spent an hour yanking the bar weights out. All in all not bad.

Now, were they worth 300$? That's a whole other thread. Lets just say they won't be going on my 1999.

-PRB

I used to bounce back and forth from stock to Heli depending on the time of year and riding styles.

Now I just use my VFR800 for a sport-tourer and the VFR750 for the sport-bike.

I could change them out in about twenty minutes without any hassles.

I was surprised to see that almost no one has tech specs or Stomp grips considering the type of bike. When I demo'd mine (well soon to be mine) I noticed the lack of tank grips and how much I'm used to them on all my other bikes.

Once you get them and start holding with your legs you'll be in good shape. Your hands should pretty much just rest on the bars. All they need to do is push the bars forward and operate the controls. You hold on to the bike with your legs!!

I don't see a need for wasting money on that nonsense. It might be a good training product for novice riders.

Heli-Bars change the whole riding position and make all day rides more enjoyable.

Hardly a new riders training tool but if you don't want to spend 300 for Helibars tech specs are about 30. Though the raise is nice on the Helibars for sure.

Well, this is probably too late but I'll throw it out there anyway.

I put up a post about another possible alternative to $300 Helibars. There is a guy that makes and sells clip-on risers for the SV650. I know because I installed a set on the GF's bike. Turns out, they fit a 41mm fork. They run $170. They have a 2.5" or 3.5" rise. They also tilt (?) forward or backward by 7-degrees, 14-degrees total. I haven't had a chance to really look and see how they'll mount up on a VFR. But it could be a better alternative to Helibars. They are cheaper and more adjustable.

You can find them here - http://www.svracingparts.com/store/#!/SVRP-Black-Clip-On-Riser-Bar-Sets-with-2-5-or-3-5-inch-Risers/p/3033530/category=477663

SV racing makes some great stuff! I use their products on my SV track bike. One thing to note that is different here is that Helibars raise and bring back the bars I think about 1.5 inches each direction. To me anyway the swept back really gives the big relief to the back. But as usual that is a great price! I'll be buying his rear sets for th SV soon.

Good find Gavmac!

SV racing makes some great stuff! I use their products on my SV track bike. One thing to note that is different here is that Helibars raise and bring back the bars I think about 1.5 inches each direction. To me anyway the swept back really gives the big relief to the back. But as usual that is a great price! I'll be buying his rear sets for th SV soon.

Good find Gavmac!

I think I'm following you. The mounts work on compression only and don't have any tabs to mount them in place. So, without any clearance issues, you could mount them at any "swept back" angle that you feel like. I don't know about the rise, but with 2 options for height, I'm sure it would be close to the same. Due to the way they mount, they should also bring the bars back a lot, maybe even too much.

It seems hard to explain but If you look at the stock photo on the website, it shows the flat vertical section mounted so that the handlebar is not over the fork. The vertical piece can be turned around so that the bar would be more over the top of the fork. This is how I mounted them up on the SV. Because they are so adjustable, they should have a lot of options for being able to mount them.

If I get sparky, I might try to take one of them off her bike and see how it might mount up to the VFR. I was planning on replacing the bars at some point. However, we rode yesterday and I didn't find the stock bars that uncomfortable.

• Member Contributer

With the Helibars you know that they will fit the stock cables. I love em and will never go back to stock.

Note: I was in the process of installing superbike bars but found it to be a pain in the arse so I decided not stay with the Heli's.

If anyone is interested in going the superbike bar route I have an upper tripel clamp drilled with risers available.

With the Helibars you know that they will fit the stock cables. I love em and will never go back to stock.

Note: I was in the process of installing superbike bars but found it to be a pain in the arse so I decided not stay with the Heli's.

If anyone is interested in going the superbike bar route I have an upper tripel clamp drilled with risers available.

Good point. The pull back on the SVRP might require longer clutch and throttle lines.

I had the LSL kit on my SV650S. I really liked it. I'm still thinking about it for the VFR. The LSL kit for the VFR doesn't require or include any additional parts for the lines. What was the issue you were having? I know on the SV I had to install longer brake lines and re-route the throttle cables to the right side of the steering head, under the gas tank.

I might be interested in your set up. Shoot me a PM.

Archived