Code 15 On Y2K Viffer, Occasional Engine Cutting Out.

Witman69

Hi guys:

I've had my 2000 VFR 800 for awhile, and have put almost 100k on it, thanks in part to my amigos here :-)

Recently I noticed the Error light coming on. I read the codes, and came up with Code 15(Injector 4).

I did experience the engine cutting out on me a couple times during riding, but the bike always restarted quickly.

So, I am happy to replace injector 4 IF that is my problem, but I don't want to take off the carbs etc AGAIN for no reason. Its a real PITA.

Has anyone had a faulty injector?

1.Whats the best way to verify a bad one? When I used my my multimeter, All the injectors read the same resistance. (About 20k, Ohms, Out of spec according to the manual)

2. If I need to get a test pin box for troubleshooting, any idea who has them? (07WGZ-0010100)

Thanks Guys!

Jerry W. Socal.

• Member Contributer

An inexpensive (but yes, PITA) way to narrow it to the injector itself is to swap the suspect one with another. If the fault moves with the injector, you know it's the culprit. If not, then there's a fault upstream somewhere.

If you do that, you might want to double check the ohms reading on them - it would seem unlikely that all 4 would have gone bad electrically - but anything's possible. If they are all indeed bad and budget's an issue, you can find complete throttle bodies on ebay with injectors for under $100.

There's also a small tool that auto parts stores sell called a "noid light". It plugs in to the harness in place of the injector. The plugs are application specific, so finding one to fit the VFR harness could be tough tho Honda may use the same connectors as on automotive applications. Once cranking or running, there's a visual confirmation that the ECU is sending a signal to the injector.

• 1 year later...

Just in case this helps for future searches, I just used the noid light that for the harness and it worked.  It was for a GM product and in the harbor freight kit.  

IMG_20170326_163647068.jpg

Archived