Film Protection For 1200 Oem Side Cases

Marsman99

• Member Contributer

After a few long road trips I noticed some small (1-2mm) stone chips on the lower fronts of my OEM side cases. This prompted me to haul my cases over to Lucas at TankSlapper.com (he's local) to get custom protective film cut for me. He designed a new template from this effort. I wanted to post this since this same custom cut Is now available to any 1200 owner with OEM cases that wants protection. The protection is for the leading edges, where chipping occurs, as well as the ara at the top where you may drag your boot across it as well. The templates are shown in black in the 1200 kit he offers.

I'm thinking luvtoleanit would be all over this after his nice looking custom paint job! Wish I'd done it sooner.

BTW, I'd make sure to ask for the Xpel film as it is made to be very smooth and virtually invisible. 3M film has a slight orange peel texture compared to the Xpel film, which is a slight bit noticeable once applied.

post-29709-0-46657400-1421005166.jpg

• Member Contributer

BTW, in looking at theTankslapper kit, I noticed that as shown it does not include all the pieces you actually get. For example, neither the mirrors or side fairings are shown, yet they came with the kit I bought. Be sure to ask about this if you are buying the full kit. Also, the website is TheTankSlapper.biz, not .com.

• Member Contributer

I have a friend who wraps cars for a living so I usually take the bikes to him but this sure would make it easier and cost me less money as he isn't cheap! Looks like a good project for the spring.

BTW, in looking at theTankslapper kit, I noticed that as shown it does not include all the pieces you actually get. For example, neither the mirrors or side fairings are shown, yet they came with the kit I bought. Be sure to ask about this if you are buying the full kit. Also, the website is TheTankSlapper.biz, not .com.

Try the second picture they provided?

VFR%201200%203M%20TPK.jpg

• Member Contributer

Try the second picture they provided?

Good catch. On my screen, I can barely make it out. Wierd, since this is the kit he actually sells. Regardless, if you want to protect OEM sides cases there is a kit available to do so.

Good catch. On my screen, I can barely make it out. Wierd, since this is the kit he actually sells. Regardless, if you want to protect OEM sides cases there is a kit available to do so.

You can add the side cases kit to you order - they want 25 bucks extra for it. I painted my side case covers recently so I think I will order a full set.

Any film type recommendations? They offer:

Tankslapper Film (Gloss)

3M Scotchgard (Gloss) (+$35.00)

Scotchgard Pro (Gloss) (+$47.75)

XPEL Ultimate (Gloss) (+$47.75)

XPEL Stealth (Matte) (+$47.75)

Any sense to pay extra 50 bucks?

• Member Contributer

I would recommend the Xpel Ultimate Gloss. This stuff is very smooth and will be barely noticeable once installed. The 3M stuff is good too, but it has a slight orange peel look. The difference is that the Xpel film is on a Mylar film backing, the 3M film is on a paper backing. The Mylar allows a more controlled process that yields smooth, flat films to be made. It'll look like clear coat once applied.

I'd recommend buying the correct tools, and use the right mixtures of baby shampoo and isopropyl alcohol. Read all the tips and watch all the videos first. Do it on a warm day. Keep everything clean, especially the surface. Even a speck of dust will be noticeable. Start with the easy flatter contours first. You'll need good technique on the headlight and nose piece. If you're not good at this sort of thing, I'd highly recommend taking it to a shop that does tinting and film application and have them do it. If you screw it up, even slightly, it is very noticeable.

Thx for the input. I have completely removed my fairing for a SS bolt&screw upgrade and for some polishing this winter. I have them inside in a warm and clean place.

I have some experience with tinting the glass or with vinyl wrapping so I believe I would end just fine.

Archived