Indicator issues. Wiring been messed with. Relay duff

Rs2k

So, I was out on the 05 VFR800 the other day and I noticed the indicators stopped

working for a short while when bike was hot. 

Got home and forgot about it. 

Went out on the bike again two days ago as a lot of main roads were closed due to flooding so going on 4 wheels wasn't an option, bike got up to temp (fan come on) indicators stopped working !! Not ideal. 

Got it home and started checking fuses and relays, found fuse okay. Relay seemed okay, although opened it up and was a mess. All furred up and bad. 

Gave it a clean, put back together and now indicators flash fast !  But hazards flash at normal speed lol. 

All bulbs are okay. 

this was an ex police bike so I expected some wiring gremlins but the way the heated grips were wired shocked me. 

Live from brake light (front lever switch) and Earth from horn earth. 

Ive removed this wiring today as I think this has contributed to the fault - being the brake light circuit picks it's live up from the indicator relay. So taking that extra load can't have helped. 

On checking these circuits I noticed the brake light was not working front brake lever but was from brake pedal !! Arghh

i traced this finally to the red plug on right side behind the fairing, I think it was a yellow/green wire going to black/green. 

Pin again was furred up and corroded. 

Gave it a good clean and all is working as it should with the brake light now. 

Few pics of what I found ! 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Archived