Carb Installation on 94 VFR - The Trick!

Hi Guys,

As part of my 94 VFR resuscitation I needed to remove and reinstall the carbs. As I looked around the internet I noticed that there was a lot of angst generated over installing the carb bank back onto the engine. I tried a few things that definitely didn't work, then deep inside a thread I stumbled on a trick that worked like a champ, every time. I decided to put it in a thread all by itself to make it easier for the next noob to find.

First, the donuts and clamps have to be aligned properly. Study the image below. It's important for two reasons. First, if the clamps aren't aligned correctly you won't be able to reach the screws to tighten the clamps after installation. Second, there are cut-outs and slots that the donuts align to on the head and on the carb body. If your donuts are not aligned properly it won't work.

Donut%20Clamp%20Alignemnt-M.jpg

Now that's done, install the front donuts on the head. Do not tighten them down. Make sure the alignment is correct. Now here's the trick. Put the rear donuts on the head (aligned correctly IAW the diagram), but do not push them into place. Cock them back so they point straight up. Lower the carb bank onto the donuts. Ensure they carbs bottoms are sitting in the correct spots on the donuts, then push the carb bank straight down. PLOP!, the carbs will drop right into place. No fuss, no muss. Note: You may want to use a little WD-40 or engine oil on the donuts to have them slide into place a little easier, but I didn't find it necessary. Tighten up all your clamps and you're good-to-go.

Archived