Radiator Oil And Water

• Member Contributer

Dude... that is a big ask. Almost anything can be made to work with some modding... I hear you though, I would like to know some front mount rads that work on a 5th gen with full fairings, not a street fighter. I'm assuming your looking for the 4th gen? I think I have a 4 row RC51 oil cooler somewhere that is going on my trackbike... I think it is the SP1 that needs less "adjusting".

I have not problem with having to Modify something but the closer it is to working with out mods the better. My problem with the street fighter is that the oil cooler has no decent place to mount. Where I have it now it broke loose and punched a hole in the rad.

I have been looking at car parts hoping some holy grail part shows up that is A: small enough for the bike and B: has a integrated oil cooler

• 3 weeks later...

Stating the obvious - but plenty of people have done away with the oil cooler without any particular harm... I've seen some say that the extra natural ventilation afforded by the street fighter style actually helps offset any slight increase in oil temp.

It gets pretty hot here, too... and i'll be trying our S/F without the oil cooler. It's so small, I really wonder how much cooling effect it has, anyway.

I wouldn't have thought that you'd risk any damage, as long as the temp gauge is working and you keep en eye on it, but I'm not talking from experience.

The temp only ever seems to get excessive on my bike when stopped in traffic in hot weather... in these situations, I doubt you'd get much oil cooling given there is no fan to draw air through it.

Also the option of going to a marginally thicker oil?

• Member Contributer

It gets pretty hot here, too... and i'll be trying our S/F without the oil cooler. It's so small, I really wonder how much cooling effect it has, anyway.

I wouldn't have thought that you'd risk any damage, as long as the temp gauge is working and you keep en eye on it, but I'm not talking from experience.

The temp only ever seems to get excessive on my bike when stopped in traffic in hot weather... in these situations, I doubt you'd get much oil cooling given there is no fan to draw air through it.

Also the option of going to a marginally thicker oil?

I think a thicker oil is a double edged sword... It holds up a little better to heat but it causes some of that heat due to increased drag.

Do thicker oils radiate heat as well as thinner oils or do they retain it more? My gut says they don't transfer heat as efficiently as thinner oil.

Not sure about the thicker oil / heat transfer issue to be honest... but on the assumption the engine will operate at marginally higher temps with the oil cooler removed, I'd think the 'drag' would be the same for a 'thicker' oil as it will actually be the same viscosity as a thinner oil at lower temps?

Really - we all know how over engineered the RC36 engines were: so unless you're going to be racing the bike I'd think that ditching the puny little oil cooler wouldn't be a critical issue, especially given the corresponding removal of all the 'insulation' around the engine. Pretty easy to try it without the O/C and then refit it if you find this logic is flawed.

Archived