Slippy Seat

BiKenG

As we know, the pre 2012 seats have a very slippery cover, that gets even more slippery with wear. So I tried a little experiment.

PlastiDip

Half a can of matt black PlastiDip spray over the whole seat (not the underside, obviously) and the result looks good and feels perfect. You certainly wouldn't be sliding around on that. However...

I've not had a chance to try it yet and I've no idea how long it would last. It is after all a thin rubber coating and may snag and catch and begin to rip off. It is remarkably tough, but how tough in this sort of usage remains to be seen. I cleaned the seat surface with alcohol beforehand to help it stick, but I just don't know how well it will actually last.

The beauty of this product however is that it can be simply peeled off. So if it does start to tear off, just pull the rest of it off and you're back to the original seat, none the worse for wear and all it cost was less than $10.

But maybe, it will actually last. In which case this is a very cheap way to fix the problem with the early seats.

I'll report back when I've had a chance to try it and see how it lasts (bike currently off the road) but others may wish to try it as it's cheap and best of all, reversible. Let us know here how it goes.

I did that with the same theory in mind. I raced ccs for a few years so i move my ass around on the seat alot. 1 ride and it started to peel off.

Archived