Sub Harness Shortage?

elfreako

Hi All,

On my last bike trip I experienced a failure of my stator, one of the coils burnt out. It was great fun being stranded :unsure: , but I was lucky enough to find the only part available in Britain to have it delivered the next day to where I was (as opposed to a 5 day wait from Belgium).

Before the bike cut out completely I noticed my heated grips wouldn't come on. I've had issues with them in the past, and I've posted about it on-line here. The general census was that my controller box for the grips were corroded from water leakage, and after pulling it apart it looked to be true. The grips would still intermittently work, the light would flash every now and then, but sometimes not actually work. Fast forward back to my bike trip before the stator issue, the heated grips wouldn't even light up to say they were getting power for a whole day before the stator died.

The day it actually died, I noticed that it took a while to turn the engine over due to a near-dead battery, the grips still wouldn't turn on, and my Garmin GPS wasn't detecting the iPod connected to it. The GPS connects off the Sub harness, from there the iPod connects via USB to the GPS. Of course, also, my heated grips connect to the Sub harness. After replacing the stator and battery I was up and running again, but on the way home (final day) I noticed issues on a few occasions (3 or 4 times) that they were cutting out like before, but thankfully never fully did.

I have since checked the battery is still being charged by using a multimeter, but I would like to know how I go about checking the Sub harness is OK. I have a feeling that maybe the controller for the heated grips is doing something dodgy, but without replacing the controller I don't know for sure (I'm more than likely going to replace it soon anyway, just a bit of spending I don't want to do yet).

Any ideas on what parts of the harness to check, and what voltage should be coming thru them? I'm fairly new to the electrical testing side, so please be idiot-descriptive if possible.

post-30346-0-86520800-1438110583.jpg

Archived