Installing New Headers - Checklist?

kyojitsu

• Member Contributer

Rather than spend on a new SS system, the headers from VTEC and later Fi's are Stainless and compatible. It is a relatively straight forward job to cut out the cat (If your 800 is Fiw to X) and have the flap Stainless welded (I paid a chap £20 for that)

The pipes fit easily, although they are narrower so the rear pipes need changing too, but no problems with melting the fairing lowers.

Lots of plus gas as mentioned. Luckily all the studs on my FiW came out without a hitch. (after 15yrs!!)

Not sure I'd use copper grease on the header studs.

you 100% sure on that one?

The VTEC headers will fit a 5th gen... two issues, they have a catalytic converter which adds weight and reduces exhaust gas velocity and the header primaries are a smaller diameter then the earlier 5th gens which increase exhaust gas velocity to help the cat function but increases back pressure and reduces flow at higher rpm... both reduce max performance of engine. With the cat still installed it increases weight... with the cat removed you still have the smaller diameter pipes reducing performance.

Many people refit VTECs with ceramic coated early 5th gen headers to increase performance... the opposite of this posters suggestion. This "solution" to the problem is more economical for the lower price of purchasing the used parts.

Archived