Tyre Size

BiKenG

Has anyone tried a different size rear tyre. From the std. 190/55, one could go up to a 200 or down to a 180, or just switch to a 50 aspect ratio in the original width. Each of which would have a noticeable effect on handling and appearance that may or may not be desirable, depending on your point of view and requirements.

But that aside, what effect does it have on the Traction Control?

I originally thought possibly none as when you first start off, it takes a while for the TC (and ABS) system to do some checks and it makes sense to me that this would involve an initial calibration while it knows nothing is slipping. In this way, tyre sizes could be changed with no issue as it would simply calibrate itself to their parameters every time you start off.

But alternatively, Honda's design engineers have simply programmed it specifically for the std. sizes and it then will not work with any others. This would be a really cheap and nasty way to do it, but I'm not convinced Honda have not taken that route on the VFR1200.

So, has anyone actually tried any different sized rear tyres on a 2012-> bike. Did the TC complain?

Archived